Archery spectators turned away from Lord’sJuly 28th, 2012 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) Hundreds of spectators for the archery event at the London 2012 Olympics Games were turned away from the Lord’s cricket ground on the opening day, Friday, with entry being restricted only to officials and players.
Many archery enthusiasts missed the opportunity to see the best in the world in action on a day when South Korean archers broke two world records in men’s competitions.
The South Korean team broke the men’s team record with a new mark of 2,087 points while Im Dong Hyun hit 699 points to break the individual world record.
“We imagined it to be a free entry being away from Olympic Park for it was advertised as a non-ticketed event,” said a disgruntled visitor.
However, organisers differed.
“It was always a close door and non-ticketed event and we publicly announced it,” Lynsey, a London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) spokesperson, clarified to IANS,
Stories of counterfeit tickets to the event too emerged as a few had seen holding them with anxious faces. A score of fraudulent websites were earlier clamped by the police authorities.
- 'Blind' archer helps set Olympics' first world record (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- 'Blind' archer smashes London Olympics' first world record - Jul 27, 2012
- Archery: Indian men a big let down on opening day (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian archers off the mark at Lord's - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics archery: South Korea's Oh shoots gold - Aug 04, 2012
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- Fake Olympic goods seized in Britain - Jun 08, 2012
- London 2012 ticket resale from Jan 6 - Dec 15, 2011
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London Olympic contingency tickets to go on sale - May 09, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London apologises to North Korea after flag blunder - Jul 26, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Asian Games archery: Modest show by Indians - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: 2012 olympics, archers, archery enthusiasts, competitions, cricket, faces, fraudulent websites, london 2012 olympics, olympic park, olympics, olympics games, opening day, organising committee, paralympic games, police authorities, score, south korean, spectators, spokesperson, world record