Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coastNovember 28th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 28 (IANS) A deep depression over the east-central Arabian Sea is likely to intensify into a cyclonic storm and move towards the Oman coast during the next 72 hours, the weather bureau said Monday.
Presently, the deep depression is centred around 700 km south-west of Mumbai and 1,150 kms south-east of Masirah (Oman). It is around 600 km west-southwest of Goa and 650 km north-west of Amini Divi in Lakshadweep Islands.
During the next three days, there will be heavy winds, touching speeds of between 65-75 to 85 kmph by later Monday, and going up to 95 kmph by Tuesday morning, termed as “cyclonic” by the weather bureau.
The system is likely to taper off by Dec 1 (Thursday), into a depression.
In the meantime, Mumbai and surrounding coastal Konkan region of Maharashtra experienced overcast skies since Sunday and scattered rainfall in south and central Konkan areas since the past couple of days.
However, the weather bureau said that since the deep depression is expected to move towards the Oman coast, no further adverse weather conditions are likely over the west coast of India and north of Lakshadweep Isles.
- Cyclone Phyan weakens as it crosses India's west coast (Third Lead) (With Images) - Nov 11, 2009
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Mumbai, west coast brace for Cyclone Phyan (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat during weekend - Jun 03, 2010
- Cyclone Yasi hits Queensland (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Cyclone Phyan floses force as it crosses India's west coast (Fourth Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone Ward weakens, to cross Tamil Nadu coast - Dec 15, 2009
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in the far eastern Atlantic, set to become major hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Phet may give Gujarat a miss (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Cyclone alert issued across Maharashtra, Gujarat coastline - Nov 11, 2009
- Cyclone Yasi to hit Queensland town - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: adverse weather conditions, arabian sea, couple of days, cyclonic storm, depression, divi, goa, India, kmph, lakshadweep islands, masirah oman, mumbai, overcast skies, rainfall, tuesday morning, weather bureau, west coast, west southwest