‘Arab spring is human awakening’February 15th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) The revolutionary wave of demonstrations and protests against repression in the Arab world was a human awakening triggered by people craving for better life and freedom of expression, experts said Wednesday at a seminar on “Arab Spring” here.
Speakers at the three-day seminar on “The Arab Spring: Region and India” organised by Jamia Millia Islamia, said the uprising across the Arabian world was not just an ideological motivation but a genuine craving for democracy.
The seminar was inaugurated by university Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung and was also attended by former ambassador M.K. Bhadrakumar, Turkish envoy Burak Akcapar, and Iranian ambassador Mehdi Nabizadeh.
Nabizadeh alleged that some Western nations were seriously worried about the Arab Spring because it is a voice against tyranny.
“The most important characteristics of the recent developments in the Islamic world is its anti- despotism nature, its Islamic identity, its demand for independence and participation of the youth in the same,” he said.
The envoy stressed that the movement is a sign of “human awakening” for justice, rights people and against discriminations.
He said it is struggle of “99 percent” of population against the remaining “one percent” who are the rulers and their administrators.
The Iranian envoy stressed on the unity among Muslims and non Muslims for “securing, peace, security and tranquility in the world”.
The participants over the next two days spread over 10 sessions will discuss the incidents that shaped much of the last year in the Arab world and its impact on the rest of the world, the region and India.
- Iran 'not unhappy' with India over Syria vote - Feb 07, 2012
- Those involved in terror misinterpret Islam: Egyptian grand mufti - Jan 12, 2011
- Iran denies role in Israel embassy car explosion - Feb 14, 2012
- Delhi students rally for Egypt protesters - Feb 02, 2011
- Jamia to host 3rd Arab film fest - Nov 19, 2011
- India, Iran firm up oil payment mechanism (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Turkey sees huge potential in ties with India - Mar 24, 2012
- Indian Muslim intelligentsia welcomes Osama's elimination - May 04, 2011
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Social media powering modern protests, note experts - Apr 17, 2012
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- No threat to Gulf states from Arab Spring, says expert - Nov 03, 2011
- A battle won for girls' education in male bastion (Feature with images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Turkey wants more tourism, cultural exchanges with India - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: arab world, arabian world, better life, despotism, discriminations, freedom of expression, iranian ambassador, islamia, islamic identity, islamic world, mehdi, muslims, najeeb, New Delhi, recent developments, repression, revolutionary wave, tranquility, uprising, vice chancellor