April 12 to be celebrated as National Street Theatre dayMarch 28th, 2008 - 7:20 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) A string of events, including exhibitions, processions and plays, will commemorate 20 years of the death anniversary of theatre artist Safdar Hashmi April 12. It will be observed as the National Street Theatre Day. Ram Rahman of the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust or SAHMAT, said the focus of the day will be the plight of the working class in the capital. “April 12 is Safdar’s birthday and has always been celebrated across the country with staging of plays and coming together of artists, actors and musicians from independent organisations.
“Since it’s the 20th year of Hashmi’s death anniversary, SAHMAT is planning to focus on the condition of the working class, something which Safdar felt very strongly about,” Rahman told IANS.
Hashmi, a veteran theatre artist, was killed by political goons while staging a play “Halla Bol” in Sahibabad, in the outskirts of Delhi in 1989.
“The day will begin with a street theatre performance by the Jan Natya Manch (JANAM), founded by Safdar. The play will focus on the plight of the poor and the working class in the city, what with the price rise and everything.
“A procession from Safdar Hashmi Marg to SAHMAT headquarters will see artists, photographers and common man march with photographs showing the struggle of day-to-day life in the city,” Rahman said.
The photographs will be mounted at Rafi Marg for an exhibition.
“There will be other exhibitions as well; one on fine arts and on rural India. There will also be song-and-poetry presentations before screening of the movie Safdar made by Shashi Kumar,” he added.
The bouquet of events, including symposiums, exhibitions and plays, around the city and in some parts of the country, will continue till Jan 1, 2009.
- Intellectuals speak up for M.F. Husain, Arundhati Roy - Jan 01, 2011
- Events in Delhi to mark poet Faiz's birth centenary - Dec 28, 2010
- 'Brothers in Political Theatre' revisits India's Socialist stage, culture - Apr 13, 2012
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- SAHMAT observes 75 years of Progressive Writers' Association - Oct 12, 2011
- M.F. Husain to be remembered on death anniversary (With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Street theatre more relevant than ever, say Bengal artists(April 12 is National Street Theatre Day) - Apr 12, 2010
- Artists condemn move to remove Gujarat riots video from China show - Jul 26, 2012
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- Legendary Bengal famine photographer dies at 96 (With Image) - Jun 23, 2012
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- Sahmat sends open invitation to Rushdie - Jan 23, 2012
- Progressive movement revisits its 75-year journey - Oct 14, 2011
- Artists, thinkers outraged over crackdown on gay lensman's work - Mar 28, 2012
- Zohra Sehgal celebrates her century with 'official biography' (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012