Apple now most valuable global brandMay 9th, 2011 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 9 (IANS) Apple has overtaken Google as the world’s most valuable brand, ending a four-year reign by the internet search leader.
The iPhone and iPad maker’s brand is now worth $153 billion (£93bn;), almost half Apple’s market capitalisation, the annual BrandZ study of the world’s top 100 brands says.
Apple’s portfolio of coveted consumer goods propelled it past Microsoft to become the world’s most valuable technology company last year, the Telegraph reports.
Peter Walshe, global brands director of Millward Brown, which conducted the study, said Apple’s meticulous attention to detail, along with an increasing presence of its gadgets in corporate environments, have allowed it to behave differently from other consumer-electronics makers.
“Apple is breaking the rules in terms of its pricing model,” he said. “It’s doing what luxury brands do, where the higher priced the brand is, the more it seems to underpin and reinforce the desire.”
“Obviously, it has to be allied to great products and a great experience, and Apple has nurtured that.”
Of the top 10 brands in the report, six were technology and telecoms companies: Google at number two, IBM at three, Microsoft at five, AT&T; at seven and China Mobile at nine.
McDonald’s rose two places to number four, as fast food became the fastest-growing category, Coca-Cola slipped one place to number six, Marlboro was also down one to number eight, and General Electric was number 10.
Facebook entered the top 100 at number 35 with a brand valued at $19.1 billion, while Chinese search engine Baidu rose to number 29 from 46, the report says.
Toyota reclaimed its position as the world’s most valuable car brand, as it recovered from a bungled 2010 product recall.
The survey was carried out before the March earthquake that caused massive disruption to Japanese supply chains.
- Apple topples Google as top global brand - May 10, 2011
- Apple beats Google in 'war of global brands' - May 09, 2011
- Airtel, ICICI among 'top 100 global brands' - May 23, 2012
- US dominates global leading brand list - Sep 16, 2010
- Google world's first $100 bn brand - Apr 30, 2009
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- China's smartphone firms warned of patent disputes - Apr 15, 2012
- Now, Google the world's first 100 billion dollar brand - Apr 30, 2009
- Top 20 cash-rich American companies (To go with: US wallows in debt but its firms hoard $2 trillion in cash) - Aug 08, 2011
- Benz is Britain's favourite consumer super brand - Feb 28, 2011
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- 'Apple to become world's first $1 trillion company' - Apr 08, 2012
- Apple surpasses Microsoft as most valuable technology company - May 27, 2010
- Baidu launches own mobile platform - Sep 04, 2011
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: baidu, car brand, china mobile, chinese search engine, corporate environments, facebook, global brand, global brands, google, ipad, luxury brands, market capitalisation, massive disruption, meticulous attention, millward brown, number 35, search leader, supply chains, telecoms companies, telegraph reports