Appeals of absconding convicts to be dismissed: courtAugust 4th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday ruled that the appeals of convicted criminals who have absconded after getting bail would be dismissed without looking into the merit of the cases. A division bench headed by Justice Vikramjit Sen ruled that the cause of “justice couldn’t be allowed to be frustrated for human rights of a criminal”.
The bench emphasised that it was the duty of the courts to frustrate such attempts on the part of convicts by dismissing their appeal without going into the merit of their cases.
“It is imperative to put an end to such practice by dismissing the appeal, not in default or for non-prosecution, but because the proceedings in the appeal manifest an abuse of the process of the court,” the bench said, dismissing an appeal of two convicts who absconded while their plea was still pending.
The two convicts, Mukesh and Suresh, who had approached the high court against their conviction in 1992 and the court granted them bail in 1993. But the duo failed to appear before the court after they were released on bail.
The bench dismissed their appeal, observing that their plea was only a strategy to frustrate the outcome of th etrial.
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Award death penalty in staged shootout cases: Supreme Court (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughter - Oct 23, 2011
- Court reserves order on Kanda's anticipatory bail plea (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail - Aug 13, 2012
- Court to hear Tuesday Kalmadi plea to attend parliament - Aug 29, 2011
- Supreme Court decries abuse of court process by criminals - Apr 01, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to CBI on Jagan's bail plea - Aug 09, 2012
- Supreme Court notice on IAS officer's bail plea - Oct 20, 2011
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Second lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Apex court dismisses plea to stay Rajoana's death sentence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012