Apollo Hospital told to pay Rs.500,000 for misleading patientMay 25th, 2008 - 5:29 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The capital’s Indraprastha Apollo Hospital has been asked to pay Rs.500,000 to a patient for unfair trade practices. It had demanded more money despite offering a package. The Delhi State Consumer Redressal Forum, while slapping the fine, ruled: “A hospital cannot demand more money if a patient is going for treatment under a package deal. If a hospital does that it is liable to compensate the patient.”
It also advised patients to approach consumer courts in large numbers so that the unfair practices adopted by hospitals could be curbed.
The case dates back to November 1996 when Mohammad Afzal, a native of Allahabad, had approached the hospital complaining of stomach ache. He was told by the hospital that his treatment would cost him Rs.37,500 under a package deal.
Afzal agreed to the package deal and went for the treatment.
But during the treatment, the hospital asked him to shell out Rs.160,000 more besides the package.
The hospital also carried out two operations, which failed and he had to undergo a third operation.
“The hospital cannot befool patients by luring them with package deals and then taking more money,” observed Justice J.D. Kapoor, president of the Delhi State Consumer Redressal Forum.
- Private hospital told to pay patient Rs.18 lakh compensation - Jan 05, 2010
- An RTI query which may have averted AMRI blaze - Dec 22, 2011
- Consumer court pulls up Lufthansa, orders fine - Aug 22, 2012
- American Airlines fined for flight delay (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Hospital fined for patient's death due to negligence - Jul 10, 2009
- Consumer forum fines American Airlines for delay - Jun 22, 2011
- Dentist to pay Rs.57,200 for extracting wrong tooth - Jul 09, 2010
- CNG prices raised Rs.2.90 a kg in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Mukesh Ambani by Kerala consumer court - Dec 16, 2011
- Chandigarh administration directed to compensate for negligence - Jun 18, 2011
- Doctors not hospitals guilty in negligence deaths: Court - Aug 08, 2010
- Apex court rejects Morani's interim bail plea (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Hospital guard held for selling blood - Sep 30, 2011
- Non-advocates can appear before consumer forums: Apex court - Aug 31, 2011
- Sibal discusses telecom issues with consumer groups - Jul 06, 2011