Apex court told about Gujarat panel on shootout deathsNovember 14th, 2011 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 14 (IANS) The Supreme Court was told Monday that the Gujarat government has set up a special task force to probe the cases of alleged staged shootout killings and its investigation would be monitored by an authority headed by retired apex court judge M.B. Shah.
The court was hearing petitions by columnist B.G. Verghese and poet, lyricist and script writer Javed Akhtar seeking Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into 21 cases of alleged staged shootouts between 2003-07.
The apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice R.P. Desai was told that the state government will also file a report on what it had done so far in respect of these cases.
While Verghese wanted investigations into all the 21 cases, Prashant Bhushan, appearing for Javed Akhtar, sought investigations into cases of alleged staged shootout by the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) then headed by D.G. Vanzara.
Vanzara is now in judicial custody for his alleged involvement in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh killing.
Akhtar is also seeking a CBI probe into the killing of another person, Sameer Khan, in an alleged staged encounter. “This is one case crying for an independent investigation.”
He described the ATS team under Vanzara as a “notorious team”. He said that there was “massive cover up at the instance of the Gujarat chief minister”.
Bhushan told the court that some of the staged shootout cases of the team were under investigation and some were not. There were 21 encounters by this team.
The court directed the next hearing on the petitions in January.
- Fresh setback for Modi, probe ordered into more fake shootouts (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Ex-judge could head shoot-out probe panel, says apex court - Feb 27, 2012
- SC rejects Gujarat's plea to review Prajapati shootout order - Jul 13, 2012
- Justice Bedi to monitor Gujarat 'encounters' probe (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Gujarat appointee for shootout probe monitoring rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Gujarat appointee for shootout probe monitoring rejected (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- No vendetta against Amit Shah, CBI tells apex court - Sep 28, 2011
- Ishrat murdered by police: SIT - Nov 21, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: Supreme Court upholds special probe (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Court inquires about SIT's view - Aug 23, 2010
- Ishrat's mother seeks CBI probe into killing - Jul 14, 2010
- Sohrabuddin case: Order on cop's bail plea reserved - Aug 26, 2011
- Delhi Police officer to head probe team in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - Sep 24, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan killing: Court-ordered SIT given probe (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- CBI team arrives in Gujarat to take over Sohrabuddin probe - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: aftab, alam, apex, apex court, bhushan, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, court bench, court judge, desai, gujarat government, independent investigation, javed akhtar, judicial custody, lyricist, script writer, shootouts, sohrabuddin sheikh, verghese