Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad’s killing (Second Lead)May 3rd, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday directed the CBI to submit before a magistrate in Andhra Pradesh its probe report on the alleged staged shootout killing of Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad and journalist H.C. Pandey in 2010.
The apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice C.K. Prasad gave a direction to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) after it disposed of two petitions by not accepting plea seeking an independent probe into the shootout.
Pandey’s widow Bineeta Pandey and activist Swami Agnivesh had sought a judicial probe or an investigation by a special investigation team into the gun battle, alleging that it was staged.
Azad and Pandey were killed in an exchange of fire between the Maoists and Andhra Pradesh Police in a forested areas in Andhra Pradesh’s Adilabad district July 1, 2010.
The court said the petitioners could raise all the issues before the first class magistrate in Adilabad in whose court the CBI would submit its report.
During the hearing, the CBI said it would file a report seeking the closure of the case. Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval told the court that it would be open to the trial court to either accept or reject the closure report or order further investigation.
The CBI March 16 told the Supreme Court that the gun battle in which Azad and Pandey were killed was genuine.
Refuting the submission by counsel Prashant Bhushan who for Pandey’s widow, Raval told the court that the investigation was carried out meticulously and there was no reason to disbelieve the forensic experts.
He asked the court to let contentions raised by the petitioners to be examined by the trial court where doctors who performed the post mortem would be examined.
Raval told the court that the petition by Bineeta Pandey was based on a report by a news magazine on the gun battle. It referred to the opinion of two forensic experts.
He told the court that one of the experts said that it would be difficult and dangerous to form an opinion on the basis of available data.
The petitioner said that Azad was killed by police from a close range and not from a distance of 25 metres as claimed.
Bhushan told the court that Pandey had no intention of going to Adilabad jungles and was carrying a message from Swami Agnivesh for the Maoists.
He said Pandey was booked for return journey in the afternoon on the same day and had even sent an SMS to his editor extending his half day leave to other half also. He told the court the mobile records of Pandey from 6 p.m. June 30 to 10 a.m. July 1, 2010 were not available.
Raval told the court that they requested the service provider to make the records available but they were not made available.
The court said “don’t say please provide us the records but say provide us”.
When Raval said that they have been told by the service provider that records got deleted automatically after some time, the court asked if that was so, then how were records related to periods prior to June 30, 2010, available and not of June 30 to July 1, 2010.
- Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad's killing (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Azad was killed in genuine shootout, CBI tells apex court (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Andhra ready for CBI probe into Maoist leader's killing - Apr 15, 2011
- CBI gets time till Jan 15 to probe Maoist leader's killing - Dec 12, 2011
- Azad was killed in genuine shootout, CBI tells apex court - Mar 16, 2012
- CBI begins probe into Maoist leader Azad's killing - May 24, 2011
- CBI to investigate Azad killing, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- CBI to probe Azad's killing, Supreme Court told - Apr 18, 2011
- Supreme Court pulls up Andhra government - Mar 14, 2011
- Supreme Court seeks report on probe into Azad killing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- CBI told to complete probe into Azad's killing by March 12 - Jan 23, 2012
- Dismiss petition against Azad's killing: Government to apex court - Mar 30, 2011
- Apex court tells CBI to give report on Azad's killing - May 03, 2012
- Supreme Court to monitor probe into Azad killing - Apr 25, 2011
- Andhra, centre issued notices on Maoist leader Azad's killing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: adilabad, aftab, apex court, azad, bhushan, cbi, central bureau of investigation, closure report, contentions, court bench, forensic experts, forested areas, gun battle, harin, independent probe, investigation team, judicial probe, maoist, maoists, solicitor general