Apex court suspends 23 defamation cases against Tamil actressMay 15th, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 15 IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday gave controversial Tamil actress Khushboo relief by suspending trial in as many as 23 criminal cases against her in a Chennai court for allegedly making denigrating remarks against women. A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan, Justice R.V. Raveendran and Justice M.K. Sharma stayed the trial and issued notices against various individuals and pro-Tamil outfits, who had lodged cases of defamation and outraging public morality against her.
The Tamil actress had landed herself in a legal soup after an interview to English periodical India Today September 2005, in which she spoke on pre-marital sex and allegedly made denigrating remarks against Tamil women.
Facing proceedings in courts all over Tamil Nadu, Khushboo had earlier this year moved the Madras High Court seeking to quash all the cases lodged against her in various courts.
But Justice R. Regupathy of the Madras High Court had dismissed her petition April 30 last. The high court, however, transferred all cases against her to the chief metropolitan magistrate’s court in Egmore in Chennai. The high court had also directed that the trial of the actress be completed in six months.
- 26 cases against Khushboo transferred to one court - May 01, 2008
- Supreme Court dismisses charges against actress Khusboo - Apr 28, 2010
- Apex court dismisses 22 cases against actress Khushboo - Apr 28, 2010
- I believe in what I said: Khushboo - Apr 28, 2010
- Order CBI probe only in exceptional cases, courts told - Aug 07, 2011
- Apex court nod for common MBBS entrance test - Mar 07, 2011
- Supreme Court stays order on Sterlite plant closure (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- More detailed pollution check ordered at Tuticorin plant - Feb 25, 2011
- Tamil magazine to apologise to Jayalalithaa for defaming her - Jan 13, 2012
- Voter card no proof of tenancy, rules apex court - Oct 01, 2011
- Can't touch seats reserved for OBC students: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Khushboo likely to join DMK - May 14, 2010
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case - Mar 22, 2012
- Defamation complaint filed against Nakkheeran editor - Jan 24, 2012
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court comments on its own verdict (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011