‘Apex court should clear jurisdiction of Vikas Yadav’s plea’February 8th, 2009 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has asked the city police to get the Supreme Court to clear the confusion over who should hear the bail plea of Vikas Yadav, convicted in the murder of Nitish Katara in 2002.
A division bench comprising Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice V.B. Gupta had earlier this week asked Delhi Police to get the necessary directions from the apex court within four weeks and slated the matter for hearing March 3 when the court will start hearing arguments over Vikas Yadav’s bail plea.
Vikas had last year moved the High Court challenging his conviction by a Delhi trial court after the Supreme Court rejected his petition seeking permission to file an appeal in any high court barring the Delhi High Court.
Vikas Yadav, son of former lawmaker D.P. Yadav, and his cousin Vishal Yadav were convicted by the Patiala House court for Nitish Katara’s murder and were sentenced to life imprisonment. Vikas and Vishal resented Nitish’s relationship with their sister Bharati.
Katara, was kidnapped and murdered after he attended a wedding in Ghaziabad Feb 16, 2002. His half burnt body was found in a village in Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh.
On a plea by Katara’s mother Neelam Katara, who apprehended that Vikas’ father was interfering with the probe and trial in Ghaziabad, the Supreme Court had shifted the trial to the Patiala House court.
Yadav had moved the Allahabad High Court challenging his conviction and sentence. But the court had refused to hear it, saying it was not entitled to hear the appeal against a judgement delivered by a trial court in Delhi.
The Allahabad High Court said the right forum to challenge a Delhi trial court’s ruling is the Delhi High Court itself.
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Delhi, Uttar Pradesh get notices on Vikas Yadav's bail plea - Oct 03, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Delhi Police issued notice on Vikas Yadav's bail plea (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Katara murder case: Vikas Yadav withdraws bail plea - Oct 21, 2011
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal to pay Rs.16 lakh for security - Mar 16, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Vishal Yadav's bail plea rejected - Feb 24, 2011
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012