Apex court reserves order on suit against BalakrishnanMay 7th, 2012 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday reserved its order on a petition seeking a presidential reference into allegations of misconduct against National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairman K.G. Balakrishnan when he was the chief justice of India.
Besides allegations of misconduct against Justice Balakrishnan, it has also been alleged in the public suit that his two sons-in-law and brother amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income when he was in the Supreme Court from 2007 to 2010.
An apex court bench headed by Justice B.S. Chauhan was told that even Justice Balakrishnan’s official cook was given Rs.2 crore by the then Tamil Nadu chief minister from his discretionary quota.
The court asked counsel Prashant Bhushan, who appeared for petitioner NGO Common Cause, whether it could direct the government to ask the president to make a reference to the apex court for enquiring into the allegations against Justice Balakrishnan.
Bhushan told the court it was an open and shut case, and the intervention of the court was the only way out to bring the truth as the government has not decided on the complaint against Justice Balakrishnan for nearly a year.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan case - May 10, 2012
- Apex court poser on plea against rights panel chief (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Apex court given report on ex-chief justice Balakrishnan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Refer allegations against Balakrishnan to apex court, president urged - Apr 05, 2011
- Supreme Court questions government on Balakrishnan - Feb 13, 2012
- SC tells government to decide on Balakrishnan case (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Remove Balakrishnan as NHRC chief: Prashant Bhushan - Dec 28, 2010
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Apex court seeks status report on K.G. Balakrishnan - Feb 18, 2011
- Contempt of court: Bhushan told to work out solution - Jul 13, 2011
- Dinakaran's case may go to larger Supreme Court bench - May 26, 2011
- Times have changed for K.G. Balakrishnan (Letter from Kerala) - Jan 11, 2011
- Ex-judge asked me not to complain against Balakrishnan: Iyer - Jan 03, 2011
- Government should persuade Balakrishnan to step down: Former CJI - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: allegations, apex, apex court, asian news, bhushan, chief justice of india, chief minister, court bench, court reserves, crore, discretionary quota, enquiring, human rights commission, indo, k g balakrishnan, national human rights commission, ngo, nhrc, petitioner, vm