Apex court reejcts plea against French turban lawMay 14th, 2008 - 12:34 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday refused to entertain a lawsuit protesting against a controversial French law that prevents Sikhs in that country from wearing turbans or other tell-tale religious symbols in public places. A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justices R.V. Raveendran and M.K. Sharma dismissed the petition, pointing out that the apex court has no jurisdiction over foreign territory.
“We can protect the Fundamental Rights of the citizens only within the boundary of India. Fundamental Rights cannot be protected in foreign land,” the bench observed.
The bench also said that the government has already taken up the issue with the French authorities through the diplomatic channels and it does not require a court direction to do so.
The lawsuit was filed by a Sikh organisation, Singh Legal Foundation, which sought the court’s direction to the central government to ensure protection of Indian citizens’ Fundamental Rights in France.
The foundation contended that the French law preventing Sikhs from wearing turbans in France violated Indian Sikhs’ Fundamental Right to religion and it was the duty of the government to protect that right abroad.
The bench, however, said any grievance against the French law can be raised only in the courts of that country. The apex court also suggested that the foundation takes up the matter with the International Court of Justice or the European Union Court.
Counsel, appearing for the Sikh group, responded to the court suggestion by saying even international conventions guarantee the ethnic minorities the right to practise their religion and preserve their distinct identity.
Counsel wanted the court to ask the union government to take up the issue with France in right earnest to protect the religious and cultural freedom of its citizens who have migrated to France.
At this, the bench observed that the government is already doing the needful.
- France violated Sikh's right to wearing turban: UN - Jan 13, 2012
- SC to examine high court's powers under Article 226 (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- India presses France to resolve turban ban issue - Oct 20, 2011
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal urges PM to take up turban ban with Sarkozy - Dec 04, 2010
- SC declines to stay Andhra court order against sub-quota (Third Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- 'Right to fair trial can't overshadow freedom of speech' (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- SC poser to Gujarat on riot-hit religious sites (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Apex court issues notice to IMA over doctors' strike - Jun 25, 2012
- What are you doing to implement juvenile justice act, asks court - Sep 24, 2010
- California to let Sikh prisoners keep beards - Jun 11, 2011
- Terrorist tag for Punjab Police demanded after turban incident - Mar 30, 2011