Apex court orders status quo on Sahara city demolitionJune 23rd, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday refused to permit the Uttar Pradesh government to carry out more demolitions in a housing complex of the Sahara Group in Lucknow. A bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice G.S. Singhvi ordered the state government to maintain status quo on the demolition of Sahara Sahar in Lucknow’s Gomati Nagar. The bench was hearing a Lucknow Development Authority (LDA) plea to allow it to carry out more demolitions.
The bench also ordered Sahara India Commercial Corpn Ltd (SICCL), the real estate development arm of the Sahara Group, against undertaking further construction.
The bench asked the SICCL to file its reply to the petition of the LDA within two weeks. It asked the LDA not to resort to any demolitions till the next date of hearing.
The state government moved the apex court after the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court restrained the LDA from demolishing Sahara Sahar and asked it to restore the land to the company.
The LDA in its petition said that the SICCL had flouted the provisions of the Uttar Pradesh Urban Planning and Development Act, 1973, by raising unauthorised constructions over carved zonal roads under the Master Plan, 2021, without its permission.
The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday pulled up the LDA for demolition of Sahara Sahar during the night and asked the Uttar Pradesh government to restore possession of the land to the Sahara Group company.
- Sahara Group moves SC, says LDA defied court orders - Jun 24, 2008
- Z-security provided to judges linked to Ayodhya Title suit - Mar 27, 2012
- SC allows Sahara Group to restore tin fencing at Sahara Sahar - Jun 25, 2008
- Noida land acquisition row: Apex court notice to UP, Noida (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- High court takes serious note of grabbing army land - Dec 08, 2011
- Supreme Court asks LDA not to demolish Sahara Sahar - Jun 23, 2008
- Court seeks response on Governor's appointment - Mar 27, 2012
- Noida land acquisition row: SC notice to UP, Noida - Apr 27, 2012
- High court quashes Greater Noida land acquisition (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- SC to hear CBI plea against Advani in Babri Masjid case - Aug 24, 2012
- Lucknow custodial death: Supreme Court favours independent probe - Jul 08, 2011
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Farmers from Mayawati's village move court - Jul 28, 2011
- Anticipatory bail in UP: Court wants early decision - Feb 29, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh approaches apex court against Sahara order - Jun 20, 2008