Apex court issues notice on Kazmi’s bail pleaSeptember 7th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday issued notice on a petition by journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmed Kazmi seeking bail in the case of his alleged involvement in Israeli embassy vehicle blast case in which an Israeli national was injured.
A bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J.Chelameswar issued notice to the central government, the Delhi government and the attorney General following a brief mentioning by Kazmi’s counsel Mehmood Pracha.
Kazmi is detained under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in connection with the Feb 13, 2012, blast in an Israeli embassy vehicle blast that took place on Aurangzeb Road-Race Course Road crossing. The Israeli defence attache’s wife Tel Yehoshua Koren who was travelling in the car was injured in the blast.
He has challenged the magistrate court’s order extending his detention by another 90 days retrospectively. Kazmi who was arrested on March 6, has already completed his first detention of 90 days.
Mentioning Kazmi’s plea for bail, Pracha said that neither the charge sheet has been filed in the case nor there was any application moved by the investigating agency seeking more time for filing the charge sheet.
A person could be held under detention for a maximum of 180 days after which a review board has to look into the case.
Kazmi has contended that he was a journalist and had worked with Doordarshan for 20 years and held the PIB card which is issued only after highest level of security clearance.
Kazmi was produced before the chief metropolitan magistrate, a day after his arrest who granted 20 days police custody till March 27. The investigating agency completed its interrogation before the completion of police custody and he was sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
Kazmi’s first bail plea moved on March 28 was rejected on April 3. He again twice sought bail on June 22 and Aug 13 but both times the plea was dismissed.
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi moves bail plea - Jul 13, 2012
- Israeli embassy car bombing: Kazmi opposes court order - Jun 06, 2012
- Kazmi urges resumption of hearing in sessions court - Jul 11, 2012
- Police get more time to probe Israeli embassy car blast - Jul 20, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kazmi's plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Magistrate's decision set aside (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Give copies of remand application to Kazmi: Court - May 25, 2012
- Blast in Israeli embassy car: Kazmi's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Israeli embassy car attack: Court issues notice to police - Jul 25, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: Magistrate's order set aside (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: ahmed, apex, apex court, bail plea, central government, defence attache, delhi government, doordarshan, interrogation, investigating agency, israeli embassy, judicial custody, kabir, koren, magistrate court, mohammed, police custody, prevention act, security clearance, yehoshua