Apex court contends with lawsuit on Tirupati laddooOctober 8th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 8 (IANS) A Kerala scientist has moved the Supreme Court challenging the grant of “geographical indication (GI) status” under the Intellectual Property Rights laws to Tirupati Laddoo - the famous offering devotees get as ‘prasadam’ at the Lord Venkateswara temple in Andhra Pradesh.
In his public interest lawsuit, scientist R.S. Praveen of the National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology, has contended that the GI status to Tirupati laddoo will set a precedent of “private appropriation of religious symbols”.
“I feel very much concerned about the potential devastation to the country, which is likely to happen if private appropriation of religious symbols are allowed,” he stated while pleading to the court to take “on its own” action to protect the larger public interest.
The government had given geographical indication status to Tirupati laddoo recently to prevent others from marketing the prasadam using the same name.
Under GI, the right to market a product is tied to a definite geographical territory and the manufactured goods have to be produced or processed or prepared within that territory.
Praveen, who is responsible for IPR management and technology transfer at the institute, contended that the GI tag is meant for protection of goods and Tirupati laddoo does not qualify for it.
- Haleem gets Geographical Indication status - Sep 07, 2010
- Himachal's Kinnaur weavers to benefit from trademark - Oct 20, 2010
- Tirupati temple proposes breeding of civet for musk - Mar 10, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Puneri Pagdi obtains geographical indication status - Jan 03, 2010
- Famous Hyderabadi Haleem set to get GI tag - Sep 02, 2010
- Now, Banarasi saris get Geographical Indications status - Sep 20, 2009
- Benaras saris and brocades now get exclusivity stamp - Sep 17, 2009
- Mamata tames pricey hilsa? - Jul 20, 2011
- Himachal to set up 'Grameen Haats' to help artisans - Nov 29, 2010
- IPR key for Indian manufacturing sector: Expert - Apr 21, 2011
- China's IPR campaign expanded to prevent online piracy - Jan 17, 2011
- Return Rs.17,400 crore to investors, Surpeme Court tells Sahara (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- A mosquito scam breeding in India? - Jan 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,