Apex court clears way for common medical entrance testDecember 13th, 2010 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday permitted the Medical Council of India (MCI) to conduct a common test for undergraduate medical courses while it is yet to decide on pending cases against the council. The court said the Medical Council did not need court approval for framing the rules and regulations for conducting examination for admissions to MBBS and Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) courses across the country.
“Frame the rules and regulations, notify and implement them. If they are challenged, then the matter will come before us,” the court said.
The apex court bench of Justice R.V. Raveendran and Justice A.K. Patnaik passed these orders after it was told that the common test for undergraduate medical courses was not being held because the case was pending before the court.
The court order came in the wake of the Medical Council asking the court to give it a go-ahead for conducting the entrance test for undergraduate medical courses, including those in private colleges.
The court was told that the new rules and regulations have already been approved by the central government.
“No one can come to us with rules and regulations and seek our approval,” the court told the MCI.
The court was told that the common test for the medical courses was aimed at removing the multiplicity of entrance exams.
The MCI told the court that the present multiple entrance system was leading to irregularities and litigation.
When a counsel raised doubts about the proposed common entrance test, the court said: “That is an imaginary fear.”
–Indo-Asian News service
- Supreme Court clears MCI's common medical entrance test - Dec 13, 2010
- Apex court nod for common MBBS entrance test (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Apex court declines order on national medical entrance test - Dec 16, 2011
- Apex court nod for common MBBS entrance test - Mar 07, 2011
- States' views sought on common medical entrance test (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Rules for common test to medical courses finalised - Sep 17, 2010
- Supreme Court gives nod to single common test for medical courses - Mar 07, 2011
- Court questions Delhi University on medical admissions - Jul 03, 2011
- Court terms MBBS admission criteria irrational - Sep 25, 2011
- Syllabus for common medical entrance test released - Nov 04, 2011
- Court refuses to relax MBBS eligibility for northeast tribals - Aug 10, 2011
- Court asks MCI to grant additional seats in Telangana colleges - Jul 13, 2012
- MCI moots reforms in medical courses, exams - Mar 30, 2011
- States issued notice on common medical entrance tests - Oct 22, 2010
- Finalise content of rural medical course, court tells MCI - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, asian news, central government, common entrance test, court approval, court bench, dental surgery, doubts, indo, irregularities, mbbs, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, medical courses, medical entrance, multiplicity, New Delhi, private colleges, raveendran