Apex court clears judge for international courtApril 26th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday dismissed a challenge to the candidature of one of its judges for appointment to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), saying it could not interfere in the matter.
“It is purely a matter with the ICJ and has nothing to do with this court,” a bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir said while allowing the withdrawal of a petition against the candidature of Justice Dalveer Bhandari for the Hague court.
“It is also important that the last judge (from India) was Justice Pathak, way back in the 1980s,” the court added. Justice R.S. Pathak is a former chief justice of India.
Justice Bhandari’s candidature would in no way affect the Supreme Court’s independence, the bench observed. This was after petitioner Prashant Bhushan contended that by canvassing for Justice Bhandari, the government was compromising the independence of the apex court.
Bhushan said it would have been a different matter had Justice Bhandari resigned before Friday’s election for a seat from Asia on the ICJ.
- India's Dalveer Bhandari elected as World Court judge (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Don't corrode judiciary, says apex court - Dec 08, 2011
- India's Dalveer Bhandari elected to World Court - Apr 27, 2012
- Fresh Scheduled Tribes' quota in Uttar Pradesh house suggested - Jan 10, 2012
- Apex court to hear Bhushan's plea on contempt of court - Nov 16, 2011
- Contempt of court: Bhushan told to work out solution - Jul 13, 2011
- Supreme Court dismisses plea by retired judge - Nov 04, 2011
- Panel on soft drinks will be re-constituted, apex court told (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Supreme Court relief for Krishna (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Supreme Court bench recuses itself from plea against OBC quota (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Apex court asks CBI to reply to Vectra chief's plea (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Supreme Court okays contempt case against lawyer - Jul 14, 2010
- Plea on apex court judge's date of birth rejected (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Willing to go to jail, won't say sorry: Shanti Bhushan - Nov 10, 2010
- Shanti Bhushan moves contempt proceeding against Amar Singh (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: 1980s, apex, apex court, appointment, asia, bench, bhandari, candidature, chief justice of india, court of justice, hague, international court of justice, international court of justice icj, kabir, New Delhi, petition, petitioner, r s pathak, supreme court