Apex court breather for Madhur Bhandarkar (Lead)April 9th, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday stayed criminal proceedings against filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar in a rape charge levelled against him by actress Priti Jain.
While staying the proceedings, an apex court bench of Justice H.L. Dattu and Justice C. K. Prasad issued notice to the Maharashtra government and Jain on Bhandarkar’s plea seeking that the case against him be quashed.
Bhandarkar had challenged the Bombay High Court order asking him to face trial in the alleged rape case.
In July 2004, Jain had lodged a complaint alleging that Bhandarkar had raped her several times between 1999 and 2004 under the pretext of marrying her and casting her as actress in his movies.
Even though the Mumbai police in its report had said that the allegations against Bhandarkar were ‘maliciously false’, the Mumbai metropolitan court in September last year did not accept it and held that there was substance in Jain’s complaint, and issued process against Bhandarkar, directing him to face the trial.
The magistrate’s court in November last year had granted anticipatory bail to the Bollywood filmmaker.
Bhandarkar had challenged the lower court’s order before the high court which too had rejected his plea.
- SC provides relief to Madhur Bhandarkar - Apr 09, 2012
- I'm speechless and overwhelmed: Bhandarkar - Apr 09, 2012
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case - Mar 22, 2012
- Bhandarkar granted anticipatory bail in rape case - Nov 14, 2011
- Mumbai court summons Madhur Bhandarkar in rape case - Sep 19, 2011
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Court refuses to summon script of 'Fashion' film - Aug 23, 2012
- Dump plea against me, Rahul Gandhi urges SC (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Madhur Bhandarkar to face trial in rape case (Lead superseding earlier story) - Nov 11, 2009
- BJP leader denied relief on Dikshit's defamation complaint - Aug 13, 2012
- SC Bench recuses itself from hearing Dinakaran plea - Apr 28, 2011
- Pretti Jaiin rape case: Madhur Bhandarkar summoned Nov 14 - Oct 18, 2011
- Court rejects plea for plagiarism case against Bhandarkar - Jun 27, 2012
- SC no to quashing charge sheet against Nirmal Yadav (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Decision on author's plea against Bhandarkar June 27 - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: actress priti jain, allegations, apex, apex court, bollywood, bombay high court, court bench, criminal proceedings, madhur bhandarkar, magistrate, maharashtra government, metropolitan court, mumbai police, New Delhi, plea, prasad, pretext, rape case, rape charge, several times