Apex court appoints panel for sex workersJuly 19th, 2011 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday set up a panel to conduct a survey of sex workers and rehabilitate them.
An apex court bench of Justice Markandey Katju and Justice Gyan Sudha Misra said the panel will be headed by senior counsel Pradeep Ghosh and Jayant Bhushan. It will also include three NGOs engaged in helping sex workers.
The court directed the central and the state governments as well as the union territories’ administrations to carry out a survey of sex workers in their jurisdiction and submit that report to the panel.
The court asked the governments to extend full cooperation and assistance to the panel.
The panel would make suggestions for prevention of human trafficking, for rehabilitation of sex workers who want to leave their trade, and for improving the conditions of those who want to continue with it.
The panel’s appointment came in the wake of the court taking a suo moto notice of the these workers’ rehabilitation problems. The issue cropped up from the case of a man who was convicted of killing a sex worker in West Bengal.
- Supreme Court appoints panel for sex workers (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Apex court orders funds for panel on sex workers (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Sex workers issue trans-gender, rehabilitation key: Apex court - Jan 27, 2012
- 'Educated girls entering flesh trade for money' (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Rehabilitate sex workers, Supreme Court tells states - May 04, 2011
- Apex court wants scheme to rehabilitate sex workers (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Not encouraging the sex trade, says SC - Jul 27, 2012
- Poverty, not pleasure, forces women into prostitution: Court - Feb 14, 2011
- Power of attorney no licence to argue case: Apex court - Jul 13, 2011
- SC to re-examine verdict on membership of banned outfits - Aug 13, 2012
- As judges differ, Maudany's bail plea is sent to chief justice (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Award death in staged shootout cases: Supreme Court - May 13, 2011
- Nithari killings: Apex court upholds Koli's death sentence (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- SC split verdict on Madani's bail plea in Bangalore blast case - May 04, 2011
- Apex court slams judge for superseding its order - May 10, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, court bench, full cooperation, ghosh, gyan, human trafficking, jayant, jurisdiction, misra, New Delhi, ngos, rehabilitation problems, senior counsel, sex worker, sex workers, state governments, sudha, union territories, west bengal