Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday granted the octogenerian Pakistani virologist Mohammad Khalil Chisty permission to visit Pakistan during the pendency of his appeal against his conviction in a murder case and life imprisonment. It slated the final hearing of the appeal for Nov 20.
The apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam permitted Dr. Chisty to visit Pakistan keeping in view his age and the fact that he has been in detention in Ajmer the past 20 years facing trial on a murder charge.
As a condition to let him to go to Karachi, from where he hails, the court directed Dr.Chisty to deposit Rs.5 lakh with the apex court registry within two weeks, and upon reaching Karachi to deposit his passport with the Indian consulate there.
The court said Dr. Chisty would return to India Nov 1 and fixed Nov 20 as the date for the final hearing of his appeal challenging the Rajasthan High Court order upholding his conviction and award of life imprisonment.
Chisty was sentenced to life imprisonment for the death of a person in a brawl with him when he was visiting Ajmer in April 1992. He was granted bail by the apex court April 9 which asked him to make a separate plea for permission to visit Pakistan.
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- Not a single dry eye as Chisty meets family - May 17, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Supreme Court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief - May 07, 2012
- Chisty delighted to be back in Pakistan - May 16, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, conviction, court bench, indian consulate, lakh, life imprisonment, mohammad khalil, murder case, murder charge, New Delhi, nov 1, octogenerian, pakistan, passport, pendency, plea, rajasthan high court, supreme court, virologist