APEC leaders launch meeting behind closed doorsNovember 23rd, 2008 - 2:45 am ICT by IANS
Lima, Nov 23 (DPA) The annual Leaders’ Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum was formally opened Saturday in Lima.Peruvian President Alan Garcia made brief remarks to praise the “vision” of APEC’s founders to anticipate the “economic fate” of the world.
Then he asked reporters to leave the room as the leaders of the organization’s 21 economies, sitting at a round table, went about discussing behind closed doors the current economic and financial crisis, among other issues.
The meeting took place in the so-called “Pentagonito,” the small Pentagon, as the Peruvian Army Headquarters in the San Borja district of Lima are known locally.
Garcia had personally welcomed his guests before the imposing concrete structure, in a setting that was presided over by a large Peruvian flag.
- APEC seeks actions to 'restore confidence' (Lead) - Nov 23, 2008
- Chinese president arrives in Hawaii for APEC meeting - Nov 11, 2011
- 'Divine Sin' to entice Apec leaders in Lima - Nov 22, 2008
- APEC meeting ends with message of 'confidence and faith' - Nov 24, 2008
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- Asia-Pacific key to Russia's future: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- Peruvian President abandons Clinton at joint conference in Lima - Jun 09, 2010
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- APEC leaders mull new vision for growth (Lead) - Nov 15, 2009
- Japan donates $3.9 mn to APEC - Jun 20, 2010
- Obama, Manmohan Singh to meet in Bali Nov 18 - Nov 10, 2011
- Asia-Pacific ministers warn economic crisis not over - Nov 11, 2009
- Russia refutes peace deal with Japan at APEC summit - Sep 02, 2012
- World Bank president praises Asia's attitude in global crisis - Nov 10, 2009
- Peru president rush back home as espionage row surfaces - Nov 15, 2009