Antony re-elected IDSA presidentFebruary 25th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony was re-elected unopposed as president of India’s premier think tank, the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) here Saturday.
The minister will head the executive council during 2012-14.
The annual general meeting also elected the new executive council for the two-year term. The fresh faces include former Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal (retd) S.P. Tyagi, Ambassador (retd) T.C.A. Rangachari and Lt.Gen. (retd) Y.M. Bammi.
Former cabinet secretary Naresh Chandra, defence analyst Gulshan Luthra, Vice Admiral P.S. Das (retd) and Prof R.P. Kaushik were re-elected unopposed for their second two-year terms.
Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma and Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai are the ex-officio members.
The executive council also includes IDSA director general Arvind Gupta, deputy director general Rumel Dahiya and Smrutti S. Pattanaik (staff representative).
IDSA was set up in 1965 on the lines of the US Rand Corporation to suggest options in diplomacy and defence. During both the 1974 and 1998 nuclear tests, IDSA gave valuable inputs which were asked for, and accepted, by the government.
- Antony re-elected IDSA president - Jan 05, 2010
- Congress appoints office-bearers in Karnataka - Apr 14, 2011
- Mishra appointed Railway Board member - Oct 08, 2010
- CAG reconstitutes audit advisory board - Jul 22, 2011
- Sabanayakan elected unopposed as CSJC president - May 31, 2012
- Congress session on Nov 2 (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Chandrasekhara Rao re-elected TRS president - Apr 29, 2011
- Government reconstitutes Society of Film and Television Institute of India in Pune - Mar 24, 2011
- Batra elected Asian Hockey Federation vice president - Jan 18, 2011
- Congress backtracks, Mukul Roy, four others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- 'India's economic, strategic potential should be tapped by EU' - Aug 23, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif re-elected PML-N president - Jul 27, 2011
- MIM's Majid Hussain is the new mayor of Greater Hyderabad - Jan 03, 2012
- Comedian Innocent elected AMMA president for fifth time - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: air chief marshal, air force chief, annual general meeting, arvind gupta, cabinet secretary, dahiya, defence analyst, defence studies, deputy director general, fresh faces, idsa, indian air force, mathai, naresh chandra, president of india, r p kaushik, rand corporation, rumel, staff representative, vice admiral