Antony orders probe into army chief’s allegation (Lead)March 26th, 2012 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Monday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into army chief Gen V.K. Singh’s allegations that he had been offered a bribe of Rs.14 crore.
“It is a serious allegation, I have already taken action,” Antony told reporters outside parliament. But he refused to say what action had been taken and pointed out that parliament session was on.
Defence ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar told IANS here that the minister gave the orders after seeing reports of the army chief’s claim in this regard.
The army chief told The Hindu Monday that a lobbyist offered him a bribe of Rs.14 crore to have a tranche of 600 substandard vehicles cleared for purchase.
“Just imagine, these men had the gumption to walk up to me and tell me that if I cleared the tranche, he would give me Rs.14 crore. He was offering a bribe to me,” the army chief said.
The army chief also added that the defence minister was apprised of the matter.
- Antony orders probe into army chief's allegation - Mar 26, 2012
- Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Army chief raises graft stinker, Antony orders CBI probe (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI to ask Army chief for formal complaint - Mar 27, 2012
- Army chief should have filed complaint, say parties (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Army chief should have filed complaint, say parties (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI case against British firm owner for Tatra bribe offer - Apr 26, 2012
- Bribery allegation absolutely false, says Tejinder Singh - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI questions army chief over bribe offer claim (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over army chief's claim, Telangana - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI receives complaint from army chief on bribe offer - Apr 10, 2012
- Army chief didn't want to pursue bribe matter: Antony (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Army chief's revelation very serious: BJP - Mar 26, 2012
- Army chief didn't want to pursue bribe offer case: Antony (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2012
- Clean chit to Tatra trucks after army chief's allegations - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: allegation, allegations, antony, army chief, bribe, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, defence minister, defence ministry, gumption, hindu, lobbyist, New Delhi, parliament, parliament session, regard, spokesperson, tranche