Antony condoles soldiers’ deaths in Kashmir avalancheFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 23 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Thursday expressed “profound grief” at the loss of “precious” lives of army personnel in two separate avalanches that hit Sonamarg and Gurez in Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday night.
In a message, Antony said his thoughts were with the families and friends of the killed armymen in this hour of tragedy.
He wished speedy recovery of those injured in the natural disaster, and promised relief and rehabilitation measures to the affected families.
At least 16 armymen were killed in two avalanches that hit Sonamarg and the Brigade Headquarters at forward post at Gurez when they were in the line of duty.
Several others were also injured in the disaster.
- 16 army soldiers killed in north Kashmir avalanches (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- Nine civilians rescued alive from Sonamarg avalanche - Feb 24, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- One killed, two missing in Kashmir avalanche - Mar 20, 2012
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Flash flood threat averted in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2012
- Operation to rescue 10 civilians trapped in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 26, 2012
- President, PM condole Sabarimala stampede deaths - Jan 15, 2011
- Defence Minister Antony expresses grief over Mangalore Air India Express crash - May 22, 2010
- Kashmir to blast stream's way blocked by avalanche - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: antony, army personnel, armymen, avalanche, avalanches, brigade headquarters, deaths, defence minister, forward post, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, natural disaster, New Delhi, precious lives, profound grief, rehabilitation measures, speedy recovery, tragedy, wednesday night