Antony asks defence scientists for quality goods, timely deliveryJune 22nd, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Monday asked the top scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to desist from taking up too many projects and to ensure they provide special attention to the quality of products and their timely delivery.
“Desist from taking up too many projects and thereby losing focus; instead, concentrate on high technology and critical areas to help the country achieve self-reliance in strategic fields,” Antony said while addressing the DRDO Research Council here.
He asked the scientists to set a goal of achieving in ten years indigenisation of 70 percent in the manufacture of defence products from the current level of 30 percent. “Over-dependence on foreign suppliers is not conducive to national security in critical time.”
Antony also asked the scientists to have continuous interaction and build synergy with the defence services for greater success and acceptance of the products by the forces. “Give special attention to the quality of products and their timely delivery,” he said.
The DRDO, which is primarily responsible for production of weapon systems and equipment in accordance with the expressed needs and the qualitative requirements laid down by the three services, has been under fire for prolonged delays in production of quality products.
The DRDO Research Council consists of the scientific advisor to the defence minister, eight chief controllers (R&D), additional financial advisor and three distinguished scientists. The council is responsible for providing direction and guidance for execution of research and technology projects in different disciplines by the over 50 laboratories of the DRDO.
- Innovation in defence sector below par: Antony - Nov 14, 2011
- New defence policy to focus on domestic industry, self-reliance - Jan 13, 2011
- India natural leader of Indian Ocean region: Antony - May 08, 2012
- Defence technologies transferred to India not the best: Antony (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Agni-V will adequately meet India's deterrence: Natarajan - Apr 19, 2012
- Antony for speedy indigenisation of defence systems - Nov 16, 2010
- MoD creating environment for indigenisation of defence equipment: Antony - Nov 16, 2010
- India to develop new aerospace products for security needs - Feb 07, 2011
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Antony asks DRDO brass to curb attrition rate of scientists - Mar 25, 2011
- Achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies: Antony - Feb 23, 2010
- 'Nurture talent, ensure fairness': Antony to DRDO top brass - Mar 25, 2011
- New defence production policy to promote domestic industry - Jan 11, 2011
- India cannot depend on foreign suppliers for state of art weapons system: Antony - Feb 09, 2011
- Prahlada to now head defence institute - Aug 11, 2011