Antique idol smuggling racket busted in West Bengal, 7 heldFebruary 14th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, Feb 14 (IANS) Seven people were arrested Saturday in connection with an international antique idol smuggling racket along the India-Nepal border in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, the police said.
“We’ve arrested seven people after carrying out an operation. We had information that an international antique idol smuggling racket was operating along the India-Nepal border in Siliguri sub-division of Darjeeling district,” said S. Chaki, a senior state police officer and the leader of the special operation team that conducted the raid.
He said the police had also seized an antique idol, made of black stone, from the smugglers.
“The approximate price of the idol in the international market would be around Rs.200,000 and its weight is around 4.5 kg.”
“We are now interrogating them to get further details about their operation,” Chaki said.
“We’re looking into several aspects of the case including whether the racket has any connection with neighbouring Bangladesh,” Chaki added.
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011
- Security forces on high alert ahead of Bengal polls - Mar 17, 2011
- Four arrested with antique Buddha idol - May 31, 2010
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- Three arrested with antique idol in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 06, 2010
- Two held with antique idol worth Rs.20 mn - Feb 09, 2011
- 500 kg cannabis seized, three held - Aug 08, 2010
- Man held with antique idol worth Rs.3 cr - Apr 01, 2011
- Four arrested with Rs.5 crore antique Buddha idol - Mar 23, 2011
- Antique idols recovered from India-Nepal border - Jul 22, 2009
- Two held for smuggling of antique idols - Sep 10, 2011
- Antique idols worth Rs 5.3 million seized in West Bengal - Aug 13, 2009
- Rs.200,000 counterfeit currency found, one held - May 24, 2011
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Man arrested with Buddha idol worth Rs.3 crore - Jul 16, 2010