Anti-Posco activists discover weapons from schoolJune 26th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Jagatsinghpur, June 26 (IANS)Activists opposed to construction of Posco steel plant in Orissa’s Jagatsinghpur district Thursday claimed to have found a cache of arms in a school building, and alleged the weapons were kept by the steel plant supporters to attack them. The proposed $12 billion steel plant, to be developed by South Korean steel major Posco in Govindpur, has invited staunch opposition from a section of the villagers in Govindpur in Jagatsinghpur district.
The anti-Posco activists Thursday locked one of the plant supporters in a building in Govindpur village.
“Based on the information provided by the man, anti-Posco activists conducted a search operation and found the arms in a room of a school,” Babuli Rout, leader of the anti-Posco group, told IANS.
“We found about six cartoons full of locally made bombs and about 25 swords, ingredients of land mine, batteries and immediately informed the police,” he said.
He added that they also found some bags on which Posco’s name was written.
“We set some of the bags on fire as part of our protest against the company,” Rout said.
“The anti-Posco activists have informed us about this,” a district police official told IANS. “Police officials have already reached the spot and are now trying to diffuse the bombs,” he added.
Posco, the world’s fourth largest steel maker, has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Orissa government to set up the plant near Paradip port by 2016. However, the project is now facing stumbling blocks due to the staunch opposition by the villagers.
Villagers supporting the project say it will bring economic development in the region while those opposing the project say it will displace them and will ruin their betel farming.
- Medha Patkar joins Anti-Posco protest - Jun 20, 2011
- Posco land takeover to resume Saturday, protest intensifies (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Anti-Posco group slams Ramesh - Jun 12, 2011
- Medha Patkar joins anti-Posco protest (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Environmental panel seeks more information on POSCO - Nov 30, 2010
- Patnaik welcomes clearance for Posco project - Jan 31, 2011
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Anti-Posco agitators held, released - Jun 03, 2011
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Police hunt for contractor in Posco violence - Dec 19, 2011
- Survey work for POSCO starts amid protest - May 25, 2010
- Niyamgiri tribals join anti-Posco protests - Jul 07, 2011
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011