Anti-graft activists in Goa demand tabling of Lokayukta billSeptember 7th, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 7 (IANS) The spillover of Anna Hazare’s campaign in New Delhi for a stringent Lokpal bill has reached Goa, with activists demanding the reinroduction of the Lokayukta bill that was withdrawn from the state assembly as the Digambar Kamat-led government said it needed additional vetting.
“The IAC has noted that the government appears to have distanced itself from the people of Goa by indulging in delaying tactics, and feels that any further in bringing the Lokayukta bill will irreversibly erode the credibility of the government,” India Against Corruption activist Valmiki Naik told reporters here Wednesday.
The IAC has also been bolstered by outgoing Goa Governor S.S. Sidhu’s comments in his farewell speech Tuesday that the government needs to send a message to the people that it is serious about tackling corruption.
“India Against Corruption’s Goa unit hopes that the urgency expressed by Governor S.S. Sidhu in having a Lokayukta to deal with corruption in Goa will serve as an eye-opener to the government of Goa. The IAC welcomes the governor’s statement that the government needs to send a message to the people that it is serious about tackling the menace of corruption,” he added.
Under pressure from anti-corruption activists following the Anna Hazare campaign, Kamat has said the Goa Lokayukta Bill, first tabled in 2003, would be reintroduced in the next assembly session, most likely in October.
- 50 Hazare supporters held in Goa - Aug 22, 2011
- Goa civil society activists object to governor's comments - Jun 09, 2012
- Kamat denies offshore bank accounts - Aug 24, 2011
- Elect those who assure Uttarakhand-like Lokayukta: Hazare (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Goa panel submits Lokayukta bill to Kamat - Sep 19, 2011
- Kejriwal hopes UPA will honour Sonia's commitment on Lokpal - Nov 09, 2011
- Team Anna unhappy over reports of proposed Lokpal bill - Nov 21, 2011
- Anna's supporters fasting for 10 days in Orissa - Aug 25, 2011
- Santosh Hegde to guide Goa activists in mining scam - Sep 11, 2012
- Hundreds join car rally for Lokpal - Dec 04, 2011
- Team Anna trains guns on MPs, wants work audit (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- In Lucknow, doctors write out anti-graft message - Aug 20, 2011
- Hazare to support Ramdev's Aug 9 protest - Jul 17, 2012
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Pass strong Lokpal bill or quit, Hazare tells government (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: activist, activists, anna hazare, assembly session, corruption, credibility, eye opener, farewell speech, goa, government india, lokpal bill, New Delhi, sidhu, spillover, state assembly, urgency