Anti-encroachment drive in Bhopal sparks violenceMay 21st, 2011 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 21 (IANS) At least fifteen municipal officials were injured after they were attacked by occupants of a building during an anti-encroachment drive here Saturday, police said.
Officials of the Bhopal Municipal Corporation (BMC) and district administration had gone to demolish two floors of a club in J.K. Road area Saturday morning, but the residents of the adjacent building thought their houses were about to be demolished.
“Town Inspector Kuber Singh and fourteen other staffers were injured in the incident,” Superintendent of Police Yogesh Choudhary told IANS.
The residents were panicky as the administration had demolished a part of a mall in the same area earlier this month.
The residents pelted stones at the demolition team and also tried to set ablaze a JCB machine.
The police used lathi charge and tear gas to disperse the mob.
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Violence in Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Congress office sealed in anti-encroachment drive - Mar 30, 2011
- One killed in violent anti-demolition protests in Ranchi (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Congress playing demolition politics: BJP, JMM - Apr 06, 2011
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Rajasthan - Aug 08, 2012
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- 14 cops injured in stone-pelting in Bhopal - Oct 25, 2009
- Minor killed in anti-encroachment drive - Jan 04, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Dhanbad after clash during anti-encroachment drive - Apr 28, 2011
- Two injured in police firing - Mar 19, 2011
- Union minister on protest arrested in Jharkhand - Apr 05, 2011
- Speaker, mayor protest Jharkhand's encroachment drive - Mar 30, 2011
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011