Anti-dowry laws are being misused: CourtOctober 10th, 2008 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) The Delhi High Court, while granting bail to a man accused of harassing his wife for dowry, leading to her death, has observed that anti-dowry laws were increasingly being misused by women.Justice Aruna Suresh observed last week: “It seems that the anti-dowry laws are being increasingly misused. The ground realities persuaded this court to recommend to the authorities to have a look at the situation and legal provisions.”
Directing the accused to furnish a bail bond of Rs.40,000 and a surety of the same amount in the trial court, Justice Suresh said the court did not find any incriminating evidence against him in connection with his wife’s death.
The court accepted the accused’s submission that neither he nor his parents should be blamed for his wife’s death, as he along with his wife and son were staying in a separate house, away from his parents.
According to him, they were married since 2003 and were staying in Aman Vihar in northWest Delhi, and his parents and other family members were staying in Rohini.
He said that the dowry harassment allegations were baseless.
As per his submission, his wife fell unconscious while watching television in January and he took her to Sanjay Gandhi hospital where she was declared brought dead.
He claimed that the exact cause of her death was not confirmed in the post-mortem report. However, the report said that she died due to seizure.
The accused contended that his wife’s parents had lodged an FIR against him and his family members, alleging dowry harassment leading to her death.
- Army officer surrenders in dowry case - Nov 15, 2011
- Husband refuses to self-inflict injuries, denied bail - Jun 21, 2010
- Bail plea of man held for wife's death rejected - Apr 11, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Amar Singh's passport released (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Dowry case: Chiranjeevi's son-in-law's bail plea rejected - Mar 24, 2011
- Court notice to CBI on Kalmadi aide's bail plea - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi Police rapped for filing dowry cases without proper probe - Aug 06, 2010
- SC breather for Maharashtra transport minister - Aug 07, 2012
- Binayak Sen walks out of jail, says I am no traitor - Apr 19, 2011
- Kalmadi gets bail after nine months in jail (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Court ticks off MLA for misusing law - Dec 24, 2011
- Kalmadi gets bail, walks out of jail after nine months (Intro Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Delhi man, mother get life terms in dowry death case - Mar 11, 2010
- High Court dismisses Amar Singh's plea - Jan 13, 2012