Ansari re-elected vice president (Lead)August 7th, 2012 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) UPA candidate Hamid Ansari was Tuesday re-elected India’s vice president, defeating NDA nominee Jaswant Singh.
Lok Sabha Secretary General T.K. Vishwanathan, the returning officer for the poll, made the announcement about Ansari’s re-election minutes after the counting ended Tuesday evening at Parliament House.
Ansari polled 490 first preference votes out of 728 valid votes cast in the election. Singh polled 238 votes.
Polling in the vice presidential election was held earlier in the day.
Vishwanathan said that 787 members were eligible to cast vote and 736 exercised their franchise. Eight votes were found invalid.
He said that Ansari needed 365 votes to be declared elected.
“Therefore, Mr. Ansari is duly elected as vice president of India,” Vishwanathan announced.
Ansari, who sought re-election for a second term, was backed by the Congress, most other parties of the ruling United Progressive Alliance, those supporting the alliance from outside and some Left parties.
Jaswant Singh, a Bharatiya Janata Party leader and a former minister, had the backing of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) as well as the AIADMK.
The vice president is elected by members of an electoral college consisting of members of both houses of parliament in accordance with the system of proportional representation by means of single transferable vote. Nominated members of the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha are also entitled to take part in the election.
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with comfortable margin (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Result satisfying, NDA intact: Jaswant Singh - Aug 07, 2012
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Voting to elect 14th vice president begins(Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll - Jul 20, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- I am delighted, says Ansari - Aug 07, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Ansari has edge over Jaswant Singh in vice presidential poll - Aug 06, 2012
- Jaswant Singh to file papers for vice president Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, electoral college, houses of parliament, left parties, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, parliament house, party leader, preference votes, president of india, progressive alliance, proportional representation, rajya sabha, returning officer, second term, single transferable vote, valid votes, vice president of india, vishwanathan