Another ‘terrorist’ calls news channel, wants talks with governmentNovember 27th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 27 (IANS) Imran Babar, who identified himself as one of the terrorists involved in the terror strikes in Mumbai, called up a TV news channel Thursday and said they wanted to have talks with the government for exchange of the hostages.”We want to negotiate with the government. Only then will we let go the hostages,” said Babar, who claimed to be from the Deccan Mujaheedin, a previously unknown group that has claimed responsibility.
Claiming to have worked as a medical representative in a multinational company, Babar said these attacks were to avenge the “torture and injustice” faced by Muslims in India.
“Do you know how many Muslims are killed in Kashmir by your armed forces? Give them their freedom, why are you creating such a mess there?” Babar, who said he was 25 years of age, told the news channel India TV.
“How much of injustice can we tolerate? How much can we sacrifice?” he said.
He, however, skirted the query as to which place he hails from.
Earlier in the day, another man calling himself a terrorist and identifying himself as Shahadullah, telephoned the news channel from Oberoi-Trident Hotel claiming that he was from the Indian city of Hyderabad. He spoke in Hindustani with what appeared to be a Pakistani accent.
He told the channel that the attack had been carried out to avenge the 1992 razing of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya and the “persecution” of Muslims in India.
He demanded the release of jailed Indian Mujahideen militants in exchange for tourists taken hostage at the Taj and Oberoi Trident hotels as well as Nariman House in the heart of the city.
The man ended the telephonic conversation saying “Allah Hafiz”.
India’s worst terror attack in Mumbai began Wednesday night when militants attacked high profile landmarks, including the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower Hotel, Oberoi Trident Hotel, Metro Theatre and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus) railway station.
At least 101 people, including a foreign tourist and four top police officers, were killed and over 250 injured.
The crisis continued Thursday with terrorists holding people hostage in the two five-star hotels.
- 101 killed, security forces battle terrorists in Mumbai - Nov 27, 2008
- Ten terrorists who held Mumbai to ransom - Aug 29, 2012
- Sarkozy salutes 26/11 victims, hits out at Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- India, Pakistan agree to improve bilateral trade - Apr 29, 2011
- Terror ordeal continues in Mumbai; 101 killed, hundreds remain trapped (Evening Roundup) - Nov 27, 2008
- Barack Obama's weekend schedule in Mumbai - Nov 05, 2010
- Terror originating from Pakistan unacceptable to world: Sarkozy (Second Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Terrorists can't be allowed to threaten India: Sarkozy - Dec 07, 2010
- Sarkozy to pay homage to 26/11 victims (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- 26/11, a grim reminder of our perilous neighbourhood: Antony - Nov 26, 2010
- Kasab: He first took to crime, then to jehad - Aug 29, 2012
- Why name Saeed, Lakhvi in 26/11 verdict, asks Jamaat-ud-Dawa - May 04, 2010
- Salman Khan must apologise: BJP - Sep 12, 2010
- Mumbai terror attack footage to be screened in apex court - Feb 22, 2012
- EIH sees traction in revenues, apprehends pressure on margins - Aug 24, 2010