Another stray tiger keeps Uttar Pradesh officials on tenterhooksFebruary 26th, 2009 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 26 (IANS) Another stray tiger on the prowl is keeping Uttar Pradesh wildlife officials on tenterhooks, days after they revelled in the glory of eliminating a man-eater after a chase of nearly four months.
While the Faizabad man-eater was gunned down Tuesday with the help of an expert shooter from Hyderabad, the second tiger has been located on the periphery of the thick forests of Lakhimpur-Kheri, about 200 km from the state capital.
“Unlike the Faizabad tiger, who traversed a good 400 km from its home in the Pilibhit forests, this one has strayed out of the neighbouring Kheri forests and has found cover in the flourishing sugarcane fields in the region,” UP’s principal chief wildlife conservator B.K. Patnaik told IANS.
While the Faizabad tiger was declared a man-eater after its first human kill, the officials declared this tiger as a man-eater after it devoured five people.
“But even as we have detailed two of our department’s ace shooters to gun down the animal, the task is going to be tough as the beast has easy access to the woods that lie in close proximity to the sugarcane fields,” he said.
“After all, it is not that simple to shoot down a tiger in a thick forest,” Patnaik said, though it was another matter that his crack team could not tranquilise or kill the Faizabad tiger for months even as it was prowling around in tiny patches of bush far from the thick woods.
“In order to keep track of the tiger, we have now formed local level committees of villagers in each of the hamlets where the animal has been on the prowl; these will keep a round-the-clock vigil in their respective areas and inform our official team as soon as they sight the tiger,” Patnaik added.
“I am sure we will get this one too very soon,” he asserted.
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trapped - Apr 25, 2012
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Man-eater strikes in Pilibhit again - Aug 11, 2010
- Another tiger on rampage in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 26, 2008
- Man-eating tiger tranquilised in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 01, 2009
- Tiger declared man-eater, to be shot dead (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Stray Uttar Pradesh man-eater tiger shot, wounded (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 08, 2009
- 16 killed by tigers in Uttar Pradesh in 10 months - Jan 13, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh man-eater tiger falls to Hyderabad expert's bullets (Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Man-eating leopard on the prowl in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 30, 2008
- When a tiger scares away 350 voters - Feb 19, 2012
- Another human killed by big cat in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 02, 2010
- Elusive man-eater tiger gives sleepless nights in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 18, 2009
- Stray tiger continues to elude Uttar Pradesh officials - Feb 05, 2009