Another sex scandal hits Malaysia (Lead)March 21st, 2011 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 21 (IANS) Malaysia has been hit by a new sex scandal with a video showing a man purported to be a top opposition leader in compromising positions with a foreign sex worker.
“The 30-minute video, which showed the supposedly high profile MP in compromising positions, is set to rock the Malaysian political arena,” The Star said after its reporter was shown the clip at a hotel.
The video “had sharp images and the woman appeared to be a fair-skinned foreigner, possibly an East Asian”, it said.
It was apparently recorded Feb 21.
Journalists were taken to a hotel room individually to view the footage by a group of people led by a man who wanted to be known only as Datuk T. Datuk is a traditional Malaysian title.
Datuk T said he wanted the media to watch the footage before sending a copy to the man and his wife.
If the individual in the video was in fact the politician, “then he and his wife must step down from politics”, Datuk T said.
Datuk T said the accused politician was not “the pious person with high moral values and integrity as portrayed, and therefore is not fit to be a leader”.
He said if the two did not quit politics, “I will call on several NGOs to set up an independent panel to investigate and seek professional forensic services to study the authenticity of the recordings”.
After news of the footage surfaced, Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, communications director of the main opposition party PKR, tweeted saying the video was doctored.
Sex scandals have in the past rocked the Malaysian political scene.
Anwar Ibrahim, who leads the opposition alliance Pakatan Rakyat and the PKR, is on trial on charge of sodomising a male aide.
Former health minister Chua Soi Lek resigned three years ago after a video showed him having sex with a friend.
- Malaysian opposition MP's sex video emerges - Mar 21, 2011
- Malaysia's 'Datuk Trio' want Anwar Ibrahim tried - Mar 24, 2011
- Malaysian speaker bars sex video's screening in parliament - Apr 05, 2011
- Woman claims to have 18 sex videos of Malaysian leader - Mar 23, 2011
- Malaysian men behind sex video unmasked - Mar 24, 2011
- Sex video controversy: Malaysian politician Anwar told to swear on Quran - Apr 21, 2011
- Posters of Malaysian sex video out in Kuala Lumpur - Apr 28, 2011
- Malay leader Anwar lodges FIR, says sex video a conspiracy to malign him - Mar 22, 2011
- Malaysian Indian lawmaker quits party, alliance - Jan 30, 2011
- Malaysian leader denies being part of sex video - Mar 22, 2011
- Malaysian govt. accepts Malay Chinese proposal on foreign workers - Feb 12, 2011
- YouTube removes sex video implicating Malaysian opposition leader - Apr 05, 2011
- Ethnic Indians not helping in probe, say Malaysian police (Superseding earlier story) - Aug 19, 2010
- Ethnic Indians not helping in probe, say Malaysian police - Aug 19, 2010
- Another Anwar Ibrahim sex video released on Internet - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: anwar ibrahim, communications director, compromising positions, east asian, forensic services, former health, health minister, independent panel, main opposition party, moral values, nazmi, new sex, opposition alliance, opposition leader, pious person, pkr, political arena, sex scandal, sex scandals, sex worker