Another rioter arrested for damaging Mumbai memorialAugust 30th, 2012 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 30 (IANS) Another rioter who desecrated the Amar Jawan memorial at the Azad Maidan during the Aug 11 violence was arrested by Mumbai police’s Crime Branch Thursday, an official said.
Identified as Shahbaz Abdul Kadir Sheikh, 20, he was arrested Thursday from Mahim in south central Mumbai.
Two others - Fausef Sheikh, 20, and Faizal Mohammed Hussain, 18 - were also arrested from different parts of Mumbai for violence, taking the tally of arrests to 58 in the case, said Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy.
Giving information about the damages caused to public property, including BEST buses, media and police vans, Roy said that the total value of damages caused is Rs.2.12 crore and that might go up in the future.
The losses will be recovered from those responsible, according to Section 51A of Bombay Police Act, he added.
On Tuesday, police arrested Abdul Quadir, a resident of Jogeshwari in northwest Mumbai for his involvement in the violence. He was also suspected to be one of those who desecrated the Amar Jawan memorial.
Shahbaz, who is also a resident of Jogeshwari, has a criminal record and was arrested in 2006 in a theft case. He will be presented before a magistrate court Friday.
Two people were killed and over 50, including 45 policemen, were injured Aug 11 during a massive rally taken out to protest the attacks on Muslims in Assam.
A total of 58 people were arrested for their involvement in the violence, three of whom were let off Monday due to lack of evidence against them.
- Man held for damaging Mumbai memorial - Aug 28, 2012
- 23 booked for Mumbai violence (Second Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 19 more arrested for Mumbai violence - Aug 22, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Act against Mumbai rioters: activist - Aug 19, 2012
- Police start probing Mumbai violence (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Two Ghaziabad policemen in serious condition - Sep 19, 2012
- Police custody of 23 Mumbai rioters extended - Aug 19, 2012
- One more arrested for Mumbai's Azad Maidan violence - Aug 16, 2012
- Patnaik goes, Mumbai gets new police chief (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Police got tactics wrong, says Cameron as 1,300 held for riots (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Cameron to rioters: You will feel full force of law - Aug 09, 2011
- Peaceful Eid celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 20, 2012
- 68 kg hashish seized from fruit market - Nov 16, 2010
- Former local council chief shot dead in gang war - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: abdul kadir, assam, commissioner of police, crime branch, criminal record, crore, faizal, magistrate court, mahim, maidan, massive rally, mohammed hussain, police act, police crime, police vans, policemen, rioter, section 51a, theft case, total value