Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and muteFebruary 29th, 2012 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Bankura (West Bengal), Feb 29 (IANS) In another incident of rape in West Bengal, a physically challenged woman was allegedly raped by a junior doctor in a government hospital in Bankura district, police said Wednesday.
“We have received a complaint that a deaf and mute woman was raped by a junior doctor of Bankura Sammilani Medical College. The victim was medical examined locally and we are taking her to Kolkata for another medical test,” Bankura Superintendent of Police Pranav Kumar said.
The clothes of the victim and the bedsheets have also been sent for examination.
The 19-year-old girl was found lying naked in an unconscious state in the medicine department of the hospital in Bankura, about 150 km from the state capital, where she was admitted Monday night for chest pain.
Following a complaint by the victim’s family, the hospital has constituted a three member committee to look into the allegations.
“We have received a complaint in this regard. It is learnt that the said doctor examined the patient without being accompanied either by female hospital staff or a female attendant of the patient. The probe team will look into the allegations,” hospital superintendent Panchanan Kundu said.
The incident comes at a time when the Mamata Banerjee-led government has been facing flak over rising rape cases in the state.
While an Anglo-Indian woman was raped in the heart of Kolkata-Park Street earlier this month, a ragpicker was Feb 24 allegedly gangraped and then murdered by a truck driver and his helper in North 24 Parganas’ Baranagar.
The allegations of rape continued when a woman commuter complained that she was raped by a gang of robbers after she tried to confront them during a robbery attempt in a suburban train near Katwa in Burdwan district.
In another incident, two people were lynched after they were caught raping a woman in East Midnapore Feb 26.
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- 19 infants die in two Bengal hospitals - Feb 03, 2012
- Two arrested for Katwa rape - Mar 03, 2012
- Mamata terms another rape incident fake - Feb 28, 2012
- Navi Mumbai woman was raped by doctor, medical tests confirm - Oct 18, 2010
- Kolkata 'rape' case: Now police say offence 'must have occurred' - Feb 17, 2012
- Minor school girl raped in Bengal - Aug 03, 2012
- Narayanan asks media not to sensationalise rape cases - Mar 01, 2012
- Tests confirm Navi Mumbai woman was raped by doctor (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Journalist's beating, woman's rape; Mamata says all cooked up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- 14-year-old raped by neighbour - Feb 03, 2011
- No 'poriborton' in health care in Didi's Bengal (West Bengal Newsletter) - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: anglo indian, bankura, bedsheets, district police, government hospital, junior doctor, katwa, kundu, mamata banerjee, medical test, medicine department, midnapore, pranav, probe team, ragpicker, rape cases, robbery attempt, suburban train, unconscious state, west bengal