Another municipality chief recalled in ChhattisgarhAugust 29th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 29 (IANS) After three municipality chiefs were recalled for the first time in Chhattisgarh by voters for non-performance in mid-June, one more municipality president has lost his post in a recall vote, an official said Friday.Chhattisgarh Election Commissioner Sushil Trivedi told newspersons that Kusmi Nagar panchayat chief Bahadur Ram of Congress was recalled as 1,207 voters cast their ballots for recall against 766 voters favouring his continuation.
The voters of the Kusmi Nagar panchayat had only two symbols on their ballot papers - an empty chair and an occupied one - to decide whether the elected chief be recalled or not.
The recall vote in the state’s extreme north was held Aug 26 along with by-polls for Nagar panchayat chiefs of Nawagarh in Durg district and Rajpur in Surguja where the presidents were forced to step down in a historic recall in mid-June.
Despite the poll schedule being announced, the by-poll for president’s post of the Gundardehi Nagar Panchayat in Durg district was not held Aug 26 as two voters moved court against alleged irregularities in the voters’ list. The court stayed the election process.
Trivedi said the Nawagarh chief’s post went to Tilak Ram of the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party while Congress candidate Manbatia Singh won the Rajpur chief’s post by nine votes.
- One more municipality chief faces recall in Chhattisgarh - Jul 30, 2008
- More Chhattisgarh municipality chiefs fear recall - Jun 18, 2008
- Municipal elections in Lucknow Saturday - Jun 22, 2012
- Polling underway for third phase of Bihar Panchayat polls - Apr 27, 2011
- Seventh round of Bihar panchayat polls continues peacefully (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Brisk, peaceful voting in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Nov 07, 2009
- Third phase of panchayat polls begins in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011
- 20% turnout till mid-day in assembly by-elections - Nov 07, 2009
- Third phase of panchayat polls begin in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011
- 90 percent turnout in Tripura civic polls - Dec 11, 2010
- Kashmir panchayat polls see large turnout again - May 04, 2011
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu civic polls - Oct 22, 2011
- Hisar turnout over 70 percent, all by-polls peaceful (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
- AIADMK leading in Sankarankoil bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- Around 75 percent voting in Tamil Nadu assembly by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012