Another land scam probe against KumaraswamyJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 10:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 2 (IANS) The Karnataka Lokayukta (ombudsman) special court here Monday ordered an inquiry into the allegedly illegal freeing of government land on the city’s outskirts by former chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy in 2007.
Admitting the private complaint filed by Madhuswamy, trial court judge N.K. Sudhindra Rao directed the ombudsman’s police to investigate the alleged illegalities under section 156/3 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) and submit a report by Feb 6.
The complainant alleged that Kumaraswamy freed 3.8 acres of land from state control at Thanisandra village after it was acquired by the state-run Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) for forming residential sites near Arkavathy lake in the city’s north-western suburb.
Kumaraswamy, younger son of former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda and Lok Sabha member from Ramanagara, was chief minister of the first coalition government in the state between Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for 20 months from February 2006 to October 2007.
The complainant also named former minister C. Chennigappa as co-accused and sought action under the Prevention of Corruption Act against the duo.
This is the second land scam Kumaraswamy is facing after he was accused of illegally allotting a huge land to a private housing cooperative society near the city by an advocate (Vinod Kumar) through a complaint Aug 8.
The Karnataka High Court, however, quashed the criminal proceedings by the trial court in the second case Oct 21 against Kumaraswamy and his wife Anita, a lawmaker, who was rewarded with a residential site by the society.
Kumaraswamy is also facing two graft cases in the multi-crore mining scam that rocked the state in 2011 and was named by then ombudsman Justice (retired) Santosh N Hegde in the final investigation report on illegal mining that was submitted to the state government July 27, 2011.
- Kumaraswamy seeks anticipatory bail - Apr 17, 2012
- Kumaraswamy, wife told to appear in court Sep 7 - Sep 05, 2011
- Court summons ex-chief minister Kumaraswamy, wife - Aug 08, 2011
- Kumaraswamy asked to appear in trial court Sep 5 - Aug 30, 2011
- Kumaraswamy, wife get anticipatory bail in graft cases - Sep 08, 2011
- Land scam probe against another Karnataka minister - Nov 22, 2011
- Yeddyurappa faces police probe in one more case - Nov 27, 2011
- Illegal mining: Embarrassment for Congress as Krishna faces probe - Dec 03, 2011
- Krishna moves apex court against Lokayukta proceedings - Jan 24, 2012
- Karnataka gets cabinet; ex-minister jailed, Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy summoned (Night Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Kumaraswamy's anticipatory bail plea adjourned - Sep 06, 2011
- Illegal mining: Court allows probe of Krishna, Kumaraswamy's role (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Deve Gowda's yet another son faces probe over assets - Sep 24, 2011
- Krishna moves high court to quash illegal mining case - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, coalition government, complainant, cooperative society, criminal proceedings, crpc, deve gowda, former prime minister, government land, investigation report, karnataka high court, kumaraswamy, land scam, lok sabha member, prevention of corruption act, trial court judge, vinod kumar, western suburb, wife anita, younger son