Another Haryana Police official booked for rapeJuly 28th, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani (Haryana), July 28 (IANS) In yet another embarrassment for the Haryana police, a station house officer (SHO) of this district was Monday booked along with 14 others on charges of raping and sexually harassing a widow. The Haryana Police has registered a case against SHO Virender Singh and others following a complaint made by a class IV employee that she was sexually harassed by them.
The woman, a widow and mother of four children, had recently complained to the Bhiwani deputy commissioner saying that she had been sexually harassed by the police official and others with the promise of getting her job regularised.
The woman complained that first she was sexually harassed by other people but when she went to the police station to complain, the SHO also started sexually harassing her.
The SHO was placed under suspension last week and the case against him was registered following a preliminary inquiry by a deputy superintendent of police, officials here said.
The Haryana Police has been shamed in recent months after two police personnel raped a woman, Sarita, inside a police station in Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda’s home town Rohtak in April when she went to get her husband, who was booked in a theft case, released.
Her complaint of rape was not registered and she finally committed suicide inside the office of the state’s additional director general of police at the police headquarters in Panchkula near here June 9.
An embarrassed Haryana government ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the rape and suicide case. Sarita was the mother of two small daughters, both of whom have been abandoned by their father in an orphanage in Bahadurgarh town near Rohtak, citing financial constraints in bringing them up.
Earlier this month, a newly married woman was raped by another Haryana police SHO inside a police station complex when she went to seek protection on court orders after she had an inter-caste marriage.
The SHO was immediately dismissed by the Haryana Police.
- Widow, teenaged sons found murdered in Haryana - Jul 11, 2011
- Railway constable held for rape - Sep 06, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Nearly 120 rescued after raid on Haryana protection home - May 10, 2012
- Policeman suspended for letting off harassment accused - Apr 16, 2012
- NGO worker, son-in-law arrested for assaulting protection home inmates (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Six booked for raping student in Haryana town - Jan 01, 2011
- Rape victim dies after consuming poison outside cop's office - May 06, 2009
- Woman drinks poison at Haryana police headquarters - May 24, 2010
- Jaipur court denies bail to disabled girl - Mar 03, 2012
- Delhi woman hangs herself over harassment, husband arrested - Aug 15, 2012
- Court cancels bail of accused in Russian's rape - Dec 15, 2009
- Dalit woman gangraped in Greater Noida - Sep 01, 2010
- Woman held for forcing daughter into prostitution - Jun 30, 2011