Anna’s cartoonist supporter sent to police custodySeptember 9th, 2012 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 9 (IANS) A Mumbai court Sunday remanded Aseem Trivedi, an Anna Hazare supporter and political cartoonist, to seven days police custody for drawing an allegedly derogatory sketch and uploading it on his web portal, an activist said.
Trivedi, 25, an activist of India Against Corruption, was picked up Saturday evening by Mumbai police from Bandra-Kurla following a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against him.
He is accused of uploading “ugly and obscene” matter on his web portal and for putting up objectionable banners insulting the Indian constitution during Anna Hazare’s anti-corruption agitation here last December.
He was presented before a magistrate Sunday and remanded to police custody for questioning, an IAC spokesperson said.
Trivedi faces sedition charges under Section 124A of the Indian Penal Code, among other offences under the Information Technology Act.
An IAC spokesperson claimed that police did not allow them to meet Trivedi when they went to meet him in the lock-up in the morning to discuss his defence procedures.
“Even in the court, they (police) did not allow the IAC people to meet him and in fact they roughed up and bluffed IAC volunteers who had gathered in support of Trivedi outside the court,” the spokesperson said.
The IAC alleged Trivedi “was badly roughed up and pushed into the police vehicle where his head banged against the vehicle body”.
“We are shocked at the way an artist and activist is being treated by police. The IAC Mumbai will always support freedom of expression which is the right of every individual given to us by the constitution,” the IAC said.
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Release cartoonist Trivedi or face protest: Kejriwal - Sep 11, 2012
- Cannot target national symbols in cartoons: Government - Sep 10, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Police end quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Free cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, demands Kejriwal (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi's case - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: activist, agitation, anna hazare, arrest warrant, bailable, corruption, freedom of expression, indian constitution, indian penal code, information technology act, kurla, magistrate, mumbai court, obscene matter, police vehicle, political cartoonist, saturday evening, sedition charges, spokesperson, web portal