Anna to fast again if bill not passed this session, says KejriwalOctober 22nd, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Oct 22 (IANS) “Anna Hazare will fast again if the Lokpal bill is not passed in the winter session of Parliament,” warned Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal here Saturday.
He said a few days back he had met Anna Hazare “and he told me he was prepared for another fast if the promises made were not kept”.
Kejriwal said Hazare’s movement was not targeted against the Congress. “It could be just any party that shows reluctance to pass the bill.”
Kejriwal clarified that Kiran Bedi, another Team Anna member, had no intention of hiding facts or taking advantage. “Whatever she gained from the air tickets she ploughed back to social service, including an organisation that looks after the children of jail inmates.”
High-profile Team Anna member Kiran Bedi finds herself in a bind over charges that she flies economy class and submits bills for higher class permitted by organisations that invite the Magsaysay award winner.
Kejriwal said: “The ‘janata’ (public) is supreme in our country and not Parliament.”
The Hisar Lok Sabha by-poll earlier this month, he said, had indicated which way the wind was blowing. “I request people of Agra to vote out in the coming elections those who are not clean or do not support the Jan Lokpal bill.”
Kejriwal said Hazare, already 74, had been forced to fast. “If they had accepted the demand for the Lokpal, the fast would not have been necessary.”
He said the movement had had a discernible impact on the mindset of the people, particularly the youth, and corruption was now a major issue that political parties would have to battle.
Kiran Bedi, along with other Team Anna members Manish Sisodia and Kumar Viswas, also addressed the public meeting gathering at MD Jain Inter College which, by Agra standards, was not big.
“Only school children, some NCC cadets and curious onlookers were around. A large number left the ground because the meeting began two hours late,” said Manohar, a banker.
- Jan Lokpal is thrust of our movement: Anna (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna, team stand 'separated' (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Team Anna dismisses Agnivesh's allegations - Oct 24, 2011
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Premature to form political party: Manish Sisodia - Aug 03, 2012
- Thin crowds on second day of Team Anna fast - Jul 26, 2012
- Hazare begins fast, demands passage of Jan Lokpal bill (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Thin crowd on third day of Team Anna's fast - Jul 27, 2012
- Team Anna meets Khurshid - Aug 27, 2011
- Show unity against corruption, Digvijay tells MPs - Dec 27, 2011
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: air tickets, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, award winner, curious onlookers, discernible impact, economy class, hisar, inter college, jail inmates, jain, kiran bedi, Lok Sabha, magsaysay award, mindset, ncc, political parties, profile team, reluctance, winter session