Anna supporters squat near PM’s residenceAugust 21st, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Over 40 people squated near Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s official residence here Sunday and shouted slogans in support of activist Anna Hazare and a stringent anti-graft law, police said.
Raising their voices against corruption, the protesters were marching from India Gate to 7 Race Course Road carrying flowers for him, when they were stopped by the police some 200 metres from the prime minister’s residence.
“We were holding a peaceful march in Hazare’s support and to end corruption and were taking flowers for the prime minister, when these policemen asked us not to go ahead. So, we decided to sit near his residence,” said Prahlad Pandey, one of the protesters.
Police said that the people have not been detained.
“We have not detained them. They have just been asked not to go ahead,” said Satish Sharma, station house officer (SHO) of Chanakyapuri police station, adding that they are, however, free to protest peacefully at the spot.
“This march is not just in Anna’s support. It is for us and our children. We want to make our nation corruption free and Jan Lokpal bill is just a step towards it. Believe it or not, it is a very long fight and we are ready,” said a protester.
- 50 pro-Anna protesters detained outside PM's house - Aug 25, 2011
- 200 Anna supporters detained outside Rahul Gandhi's house - Aug 26, 2011
- Fifty detained outside Pawar's house, Team Anna denies role (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Will continue protest outside PM residence: Kejriwal (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Anna supporters protest outside PM's residence (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Anna's village men vow to return if needed - Aug 28, 2011
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Anna supporters raise slogans outside PM's residence, held (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Team Anna supporters protest outside PM house, detained (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Hazare flays protest at PM house - Jul 29, 2012
- Demonstrations in Lucknow against Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Thousands gather at Delhi's Chhatrasal stadium in Anna's support - Aug 16, 2011
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna supporters protest outside PM's house, detained (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Protests gather momentum, over 1,000 detained in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: activist, anna hazare, anti graft law, corruption, flowers, house officer, india gate, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, peaceful march, police station, policemen, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, protester, protesters, slogans, station house, voices