Anna in Tihar, shares jail with KalmadiAugust 16th, 2011 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Call it irony. Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare Tuesday found himself in the same prison that is already home to politicians, officials and business executives accused in two major corruption cases.
While Hazare is in the Tihar Jail block which houses former chief of Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Suresh Kalmadi, his key aide Arvind Kejriwal will share the jail premises with former telecom minister A. Raja, accused in the 2G spectrum scam.
According to Tihar Director General Neeraj Kumar, Hazare reached Tihar at around 3.40 p.m. and was kept in Jail Number 4.
His close aide Manish Sisodia and three others are in the same jail block.
“Arvind Kejriwal is in jail number one with four others,” Kumar said.
He, however, clarified that Hazare has not been kept near Kalmadi’s ward.
“He is in a ward far way from Kalmadi. We have already done their medical examination,” he told reporters. Kalmadi, accused of irregularities during the CWG, is in jail for the past three months.
“Anna Hazare is fasting. He refused to drink even water,” Deputy Inspector General (Prisons) R.N. Sharma told IANS.
Sharma also said both the jails accommodate over 2,000 prisoners.
Detained under Sections 107 and 151 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (for breach of peace), Anna Hazare was presented before a special judicial magistrate, where he refused to sign the bail bond.
Hazare refused to sign a personal bond and was remanded to seven days judicial custody in Tihar Jail.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat described the arrest as “preventive arrest”.
Hazare, who was detained along with Kejriwal from outside an apartment in east Delhi, was first taken to Police Officer’s mess in Civil Lines in north Delhi and was then shifted to Rajouri Garden where the office of the West Delhi Deputy Police Commissioner is located.
As news spread about Hazare’s arrest, hundreds of his supporters gathered around the jail complex in west Delhi.
- Anna arrested, sent to Tihar (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Rains may spoil Anna's fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare wants to continue fast at J.P. Park: Aides (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Time line of Anna Hazare's detention episode - Aug 16, 2011
- Kiran Bedi, Shanti Bhushan released - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna to leave Tihar, hold fast at Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Defiant Anna jailed, freed, refuses to leave Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna's fast: Preparations on in Ramlila ground - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare released from his cell in Tihar - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare to leave Tihar 11 a.m. Friday: Kejriwal - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar, says Delhi Police - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare to reach Ramlila via Rajghat, India Gate (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna supporters take out candle light vigils - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar Jail, protests engulf India (Evening Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Close aides meet Anna in Tihar Jail - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, breach of peace, commonwealth games, corruption cases, cwg, delhi police, deputy inspector general, deputy police commissioner, east delhi, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, neeraj, north delhi, organising committee, personal bond, police spokesperson, s ward, tihar jail, west delhi