Anna Hazare to launch hunger strike from Aug 15August 4th, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 4 (IANS) Renowned social crusader Anna Hazare, who has been honoured for his outstanding public service, is set to go on hunger strike from Aug 15 for an indefinite period at his village in Maharashtra to press for actio on his 21-point charter of demands. A Magsaysay Award winner, Hazare will resort to a hunger strike at his ecologically self-sustained model village Ralegan-Siddhi, around 350 km from here, said his aide Anil Sharma.
His charter of demands submitted to the state government includes clearance of deposits in the cooperative sector and permission to implement voluntary prohibition in villages that want it.
Hazare, a former army man, was not available for comment since he has been observing a vow of silence (maun vrat) since June 11 in support of his demands.
The 70-year old social leader, often described as the ‘conscience keeper of Maharashtra’, has been keeping indifferent health for the past one week, his aide said.
Besides age-related problems, Hazare has also complained of extreme stress and fatigue since he has to make efforts to communicate in writing with daily visitors and admirers since the past 55 days.
Though Hazare has written to Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, concerned state ministers and top bureaucrats, he has not yet received any reply on his charter of demands, Sharma said.
This has compelled him to go ahead with his hunger strike from Independece Day, after hoisting the tricolour in his village, Sharma added.
Hazare was one of the three recipients of the World Bank’s 2008 Jit Gill Memorial Award for Outstanding Public Service.
- Hazare begins vow of silence Sunday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hazare seals his lips with indefinite 'maun vrat' - Oct 16, 2011
- Will Team Anna members too go silent, asks Congress - Oct 15, 2011
- Hazare to continue vow of silence - Oct 27, 2011
- Anna may end vow of silence Friday, come to Delhi - Nov 03, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Hazare weak but well, to address rally - Sep 02, 2011
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Hazare's security beefed up - Oct 20, 2011
- Hazare's village observes day-long shut down - Dec 11, 2011
- Hazare to rest at Ralegan-Siddhi before fast - Dec 19, 2011
- Hazare shifts to old residence - Oct 21, 2011
- Will launch countrywide tour for Jan Lokpal: Anna - Mar 13, 2012
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Hazare returns to village after treatment - Feb 18, 2012