Anna Hazare postpones fast to March 25March 14th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) Anti-graft campaigner Anna Hazare, who was to sit on a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar Sunday to demand parliament pass the Lokpal bill, has postponed this to March 25 and has invited the families of several whistleblowers to join him for the fast.
Hazare has demanded a stronger whistleblower protection programme under the Jan Lokpal Bill.
Hazare’s move is in response to the killings of whistleblowers who have tried to reveal corruption and scams. According to Hazare, an effective Lokpal would ensure that justice was carried out.
“While the Jan Lokpal ensures security to the whistle blowers, the proposed bill on the issue floated by the UPA government is inadequate and gives the responsibilities without powers to CVC,” a spokesman for India Against Corruption said.
- Anna breaks one-day token fast - Mar 25, 2012
- Crowds swell as Anna begins fast (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Government has failed to protect whistleblowers: Hazare - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna threatens of a bigger Lokpal movement - Mar 23, 2012
- Anna threatens a bigger Lokpal movement (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Team Anna gears up for Sunday protest at Jantar Mantar - Mar 23, 2012
- Bring Lokpal Bill or go, Hazare tells government - Mar 25, 2012
- Team Anna to stage fast seeking justice for slain officer - Mar 12, 2012
- Full faith in Anna's movement, say whistle-blowers' families, friends - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Security beefed up at Hazare's fast venue - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna to fast in Delhi - Mar 13, 2012
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna likely to protest at Jantar Mantar - Nov 28, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011