Anjali Waghmare gets high security for defending KasabApril 1st, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Advocate Anjali Waghmare Wednesday agreed to defend Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, accused of the Mumbai terror attacks, after she was provided high security.
Waghmare Tuesday said she was reconsidering taking the sensational case after the Shiv Sena staged a protest outside her Worli residence against her move to defend Kasab.
Waghmare Wednesday informed Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani that she was prepared to take up Kasab’s case. “I am ready and have no problems in continuing with the case,” she told the court.
The trial in the Mumbai terror attacks is due to begin here next Monday.
Judge Tahilyani ordered that Waghmare be provided with “adequate security” by the state police.
The judge, who had appointed another lawyer K.P. Pawar for the case, asked him whether he was also ready to fight the case.
Following Pawar’s consent, the judge said the duo would be provided with another junior lawyer to assist them in the case, as per the provisions of the law.
Anjali and Pawar - both empanelled on the Maharashtra Legal Aid Committee - were appointed as government lawyers by Tahilyani Monday for the Kasab trial.
Anjali had then said she took up the sensitive assignment as she felt very “disturbed and concerned” at the delay in such an important trial.
After the Shiv Sena demonstrations outside her residence, top police and civil officials had met and spoken to Waghmare, urging her to take up the case and assured her of proper security while discharging her legal duties.
- Anjali Waghmare will fight Kasab case: minister (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Nine Shiv Sainiks held for protest outside Kasab ex-lawyer's house - Mar 31, 2009
- Maharashtra lawyer Waghmare agrees to represent Kasab - Apr 01, 2009
- Kasab's lawyer Anjali Waghmare removed - Apr 15, 2009
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- 'Waghmare has not withdrawn from Kasab's case' - Mar 31, 2009
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Kasab gets new lawyer to defend him - Apr 16, 2009
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Anjali Waghmare: the plucky woman who will defend the terrorist - Mar 30, 2009
- Waghmare needs a day to decide on representing Kasab - Mar 31, 2009
- Senior criminal lawyer to defend Kasab, daily hearings begin Friday (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- New lawyer Pawar takes charge of Kasab's case - Dec 01, 2009