Animal rights group asks Goans to avoid fur, leatherDecember 11th, 2008 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 11 (IANS) The cows did not moo, the sheep did not bleat but only pleaded with people of Goa to steer clear of fur and leather and to “save our skin” this Christmas. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) activists, dressed in animal costumes and Christmas caps, staged a protest in Panjim Thursday against the cruelty of the leather industry and pleaded with Goans to go in for natural fibre and synthetic material instead.
The activists, wearing cow, rabbit and sheep costumes and Christmas caps, held signs reading “Bring Joy to Our World Too - Don’t Kill Us for Our Skins!” during the demonstration opposite the office of the Captain of the Port.
“Wearing animal skins is no way to spread the joy and goodwill of Christmas”, a PETA press release quoted activist Surbhi Arora as saying.
Arora said with all the stylish and comfortable natural fibre - including cotton, jute and satin - and a wide array of synthetics available, there was no excuse to buy or wear the skins of animals.
“Buying leather contributes directly to the abuse of animals in abattoirs. The vast majority of cows, sheep, goats and pigs who are raised and killed for their skin suffer painful body mutilations, deprivation, physical abuse and cruel treatment during transport and slaughter”, she claimed.
- 'Cows', 'sheep', 'pigs' lie in coffins to protest animal slaughter - Nov 07, 2009
- Punjab asks schools to ban leather shoes - Jul 01, 2011
- PETA activists stage protest against leather fair in Delhi - Oct 23, 2009
- PETA's 'open offer' to model who wants to bare all - Apr 01, 2011
- Make this World Cup the last with leather balls: PETA - Mar 24, 2011
- PETA activists protest against illegal slaughter in Chennai - Feb 03, 2009
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- No fireworks this Diwali: PETA cards - Oct 19, 2011
- PETA is unhappy with Mario as he wears a Tanooki suit - Nov 16, 2011
- US restaurant sells handbags made from cows customers have just eaten - Feb 11, 2011
- Pamela Anderson writes to PM - halt leather trade - Nov 15, 2010
- Pamela urges Indians to avoid leather products - Nov 18, 2010
- Raveena Poses For An Advertisemnt Of PETA - Sep 15, 2010
- Posh targeted by PETA over handbag collection - Oct 19, 2010
- Raveena poses for PETA to shun animal skins - Sep 13, 2010