Anger management lessons for pupils at British schoolJanuary 24th, 2012 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 24 (IANS) A British school is compelled to offer anger management lessons to its pupils as young as five after 40 of its rowdy students were excluded for bad behaviour.
Psychologists and other mental health professionals have been drafted to help pupils at the Hillcrest Primary School, in the run-down Leeds suburb of Chapeltown in Yorkshire county, the Daily Mail reported.
The move came after inspecting officials labelled conduct at the west Yorkshire school unacceptable. A total of 40 pupils were excluded in just a year.
The school is now receiving the highest level of ‘behaviour support’ from Leeds City Council — the only school in the city to do so.
Inspector John Young said: “The deputy headteacher overseeing this aspect (behaviour) has a good understanding of potential flashpoints.
“Some pupils are taught in ‘nurture’ groups while others receive counselling in anger management and improving social skills. Joint working with a learning support unit and an educational psychologist is helping the school to break the cycle of poor behaviour some pupils have fallen into.”
- British primary school students wore sari on Diwali - Nov 11, 2010
- Britain prepares to discipline schoolchildren - Sep 02, 2011
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- Computer games making Brit kids fall asleep in school - Mar 09, 2011
- Net privacy expert warns teachers not to befriend pupils on Facebook - Apr 25, 2011
- Children aged five to be taught sex in Britain - Jun 18, 2010
- UK teacher faces jail after lesbian affair with 15-year-old pupil - Nov 12, 2010
- British school bans fountain pens - Oct 12, 2010
- Kids need counselling on networking sites: Experts - May 17, 2012
- British parents use websites to abuse teachers - Jan 12, 2011
- Brit 'super' head teacher calls Facebook 'evil' - Jul 12, 2010
- School with Indian kids named Britain's best - Dec 16, 2011
- Primary school teachers in UK 'most at risk of assault' - Mar 29, 2010
- UK Muslim schools' pupils taught Hindus have 'no intellect', they 'drink cow p***' - Feb 13, 2011
- Binge-drinking culture 'creating a generation of angry young girls' - Nov 30, 2010
Tags: anger management, bad behaviour, chapeltown, daily mail, deputy headteacher, educational psychologist, good understanding, hillcrest, jan 24, leeds city council, london jan, management lessons, mental health professionals, nurture groups, poor behaviour, psychologists, pupils, west yorkshire, yorkshire county, yorkshire school