Andhra villagers torch man to death (Lead)May 31st, 2011 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 31 (IANS) Angry villagers in Andhra Pradesh Tuesday burnt alive a man in the presence of police after he attacked an 18-year-old girl, critically injuring her, police said. The Class 12 student Mounica has been taken to a Hyderabad hospital.
Babu, 23, a farm worker, was killed in Zafargarh village near Raghunathpally in Warangal district. A resident of Perumallagudem village in the same district, Babu was married and had three children, according to a police official.
He said Babu barged into Mounica’s house when her parents were away and tried to molest her. When she resisted, he hit her with a hammer.
Hearing the girl screaming, villagers rushed in, caught the man, thrashed him and set him ablaze even as policemen watched helplessly.
According to police, about 200 people were involved in the incident. Senior officers rushed to the village later.
A police officer said policemen were questioning Babu when villagers attacked him. They tried to resist but in vain.
Warangal district Superintendent of Police Prabhakar Rao told reporters that there was nothing the sub-inspector and four other policemen present there could do. “He could not have opened fire on the villagers who were already in an agitated mood over the heinous crime.”
Mounica sustained critical injuries on the head. She was taken to the MGM Hospital in Warangal and later shifted to Hyderabad and admitted to Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS). Police said she was still unconscious.
Women’s groups termed Babu’s killing as a case of “instant justice”. They said increasing attacks on women were forcing people to take law into their hands.
Warangal district council chairperson Dhanawanti said it was a lesson to those committing crime against women.
In the same district, police killed three youths in an alleged staged shootout hours after they attacked a college student with acid in 2008.
- Andhra villagers torch youth to death - May 31, 2011
- Slain Maoist leader Azad's wife arrested in Andhra - Jun 10, 2012
- Accused in Andhra girl's murder held after escape (Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Police end Congress Telangana leader's hunger strike - Nov 06, 2011
- Picture of actor as Gandhi in government office kicks up row - Oct 07, 2010
- Bangladeshi bandit killed in Tripura - Mar 29, 2012
- Prisoner dies while trying to escape from jail - Mar 23, 2010
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Andhra man beats wife for carrying girl child - Apr 03, 2012
- Naidu reaches Warangal amid shutdown, protests - Jan 06, 2012
- Tension in Hyderabad as TRS protests fasting Andhra MP - Dec 21, 2009
- Drunk Russian killed for attacking cops with axe - Jun 27, 2012
- Rights panels urged to probe Bihar police assault on women - Sep 17, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Fasting Naidu arrested, Andhra rocked by TDP protests (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, angry villagers, council chairperson, critical injuries, district police, district superintendent, hammer, heinous crime, medical sciences, mgm, nims, old girl, parents, police officer, police official, policemen, prabhakar rao, presence, torch, unconscious women